Apr 19, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Granderson, who entered with three homers on the year, took Anthony Swarzak deep in the first and second innings and then launched his third homer off reliever Jeff Gray in the fourth. His subsequent singles while going for homer No. 4 gave him 14 total bases in the game.
Granderson was bidding to become the 15th member of the four-homer club. The last to do it was Toronto’s Carlos Delgado on Sept. 25, 2003 against the Rays. Lou Gehrig is the only Yankee to ever accomplish the feat.
The 14 total bases were the most a player had had in a game since Dustin Pedroia finished with 15 on June 24, 2010 against the Rockies. The last Yankee with so many was Joe DiMaggio on Sept. 10, 1950.
Granderson finished second in the majors with 41 homers last year, two behind Toronto’s Jose Bautista.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Bring out yer dead!
Sep 2, 2014, 2:51 PM EDT
Raburn struggled mightily before going on the DL, hitting .173 in 70 games after playing well enough in a part-time role last season that Cleveland handed him a two-year contract extension.
Sep 2, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
From a baseball to a slip of paper to a giant statue of the biggest baseball star who ever lived.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Please keep in mind that the Twins are currently in last place at 60-77 following three consecutive 95-loss seasons and only the Astros have fewer total wins since 2011.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Polanco went 4-for-26 (.153) during his brief demotion and was in a nasty two-month slump before being sent down, hitting just .204 with a .564 in his last 40 games.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Toronto transferred infielder Brett Lawrie from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to return to the active roster before the season ends.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Gambling on baseball is dumb. But Kershaw for the Cy Young Award is a pretty safe bet.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Adams has thrown just 42 total innings for the Phillies with a month remaining in a two-year, $12 million contract.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Or: meanwhile in weird concessions . . .
Sep 2, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz has regained the Rangers’ closer role, but not his old velocity.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
And if their shovels are as good as their bats have been lately, they’ll probably dig a hole three miles off target and a month too late.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Among the Giants’ call-ups for September 1 roster expansion is 27-year-old right-hander Brett Bochy, who in addition to being a Triple-A reliever also happens to be manager Bruce Bochy’s son.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Credit to Joe Girardi, perhaps?
Sep 2, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Overall this season the impending free agent has a 6.03 ERA in 25 starts for the Indians and Cardinals.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Bright side: The Nats’ lead is big enough to where he can rest as much as he needs to in September.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Maybe Houston is totally dysfunctional. But the idea that Porter didn’t know what he was getting into is off base.
Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Preserved the shutout too.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Four Phillies combine for the no-no. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more of these in recent years.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera had just one home run in August. He doubled that today.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Bailey is currently deciding whether to undergo surgery for a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 42
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 31
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)