Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Dustin Moseley made just one start before being placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month with what was originally termed as a right shoulder strain. Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune last week that an MRI on the shoulder showed “damage to the rotator cuff and changes to the labrum” and conceded that surgery was “a possibility.”
Moseley could opt to rehab the injury, but if the condition of his shoulder doesn’t improve, undergoing surgery a couple of months from now could delay his ability to be ready for the start of the 2013 season. With that in mind, Moseley told Dan Hayes of the North County Times today that surgery is probably his “only option” at this point.
It’s not clear how long Moseley would be sidelined if he ultimately goes under the knife, but it’s safe to say that the rest of his season could be in danger. Tim Stauffer is currently sidelined with a right elbow strain, so Anthony Bass and Joe Wieland will continue to hold down rotation spots for now.
Moseley, 30, posted a surprising 3.30 ERA and 64/36 K/BB ratio over 120 innings with the Padres last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)