Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Dustin Moseley made just one start before being placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month with what was originally termed as a right shoulder strain. Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune last week that an MRI on the shoulder showed “damage to the rotator cuff and changes to the labrum” and conceded that surgery was “a possibility.”
Moseley could opt to rehab the injury, but if the condition of his shoulder doesn’t improve, undergoing surgery a couple of months from now could delay his ability to be ready for the start of the 2013 season. With that in mind, Moseley told Dan Hayes of the North County Times today that surgery is probably his “only option” at this point.
It’s not clear how long Moseley would be sidelined if he ultimately goes under the knife, but it’s safe to say that the rest of his season could be in danger. Tim Stauffer is currently sidelined with a right elbow strain, so Anthony Bass and Joe Wieland will continue to hold down rotation spots for now.
Moseley, 30, posted a surprising 3.30 ERA and 64/36 K/BB ratio over 120 innings with the Padres last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (107)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)