Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Dustin Moseley made just one start before being placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month with what was originally termed as a right shoulder strain. Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune last week that an MRI on the shoulder showed “damage to the rotator cuff and changes to the labrum” and conceded that surgery was “a possibility.”
Moseley could opt to rehab the injury, but if the condition of his shoulder doesn’t improve, undergoing surgery a couple of months from now could delay his ability to be ready for the start of the 2013 season. With that in mind, Moseley told Dan Hayes of the North County Times today that surgery is probably his “only option” at this point.
It’s not clear how long Moseley would be sidelined if he ultimately goes under the knife, but it’s safe to say that the rest of his season could be in danger. Tim Stauffer is currently sidelined with a right elbow strain, so Anthony Bass and Joe Wieland will continue to hold down rotation spots for now.
Moseley, 30, posted a surprising 3.30 ERA and 64/36 K/BB ratio over 120 innings with the Padres last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)