Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Dustin Moseley made just one start before being placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month with what was originally termed as a right shoulder strain. Padres manager Bud Black told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune last week that an MRI on the shoulder showed “damage to the rotator cuff and changes to the labrum” and conceded that surgery was “a possibility.”
Moseley could opt to rehab the injury, but if the condition of his shoulder doesn’t improve, undergoing surgery a couple of months from now could delay his ability to be ready for the start of the 2013 season. With that in mind, Moseley told Dan Hayes of the North County Times today that surgery is probably his “only option” at this point.
It’s not clear how long Moseley would be sidelined if he ultimately goes under the knife, but it’s safe to say that the rest of his season could be in danger. Tim Stauffer is currently sidelined with a right elbow strain, so Anthony Bass and Joe Wieland will continue to hold down rotation spots for now.
Moseley, 30, posted a surprising 3.30 ERA and 64/36 K/BB ratio over 120 innings with the Padres last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)