J.P. Arencibia is really mature

Apr 19, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

J.P. Arencibia AP

Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia is having a pretty awful start to his season: .063/.118/.156 in 35 plate appearances.  That’s pretty rough, especially because when you’re a major leaguer, people notice that sort of thing.

Eric Mirlis of the New York Sports Exchange radio show noticed, and he tweeted about it, saying that Arencibia’s stat line “ranked behind guys like Mike Morse and V-Mart so far this season…and they have not played.”

Harsh? Maybe. But true, and in putting Arencibia’s start in that kind of perspective, he’s explaining something to his readers.

J.P. Arencibia, however, had a problem with that, and tweeted this in response:

Totally mature. I give Mirlis credit for not responding with “well, I may be fat but you suck and at least I can diet.”  Because I probably would if I were in his place.

In other news, I wonder if going after a member of the media for being fat constitutes “harassment” under MLB’s new social media policy. I’d assume not, but then again, I’d assume a lot of things. Such as “major league players aren’t so damn thin-skinned that they can’t resist turning into schoolyard bullies when someone notes how poorly they’re doing.”

*Note: though the picture I used here shows Arencibia actually hitting a baseball, I assure you that it is real and has not been doctored in any way. Though he doesn’t know how to do it anymore, he used to do that once.

1. groundruledoublebourbon - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Oh yeah, JP? Well…. I hear you can’t read good.

2. klbader - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

If I was Mirlis, I would have gone with, “Please take more batting practice, looks like you need it! @howlongbeforeyougetsentdown.”

• jrd8523 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

He should shut up and be a respected reporter, instead of inserting himself further into a controversy he created. The fact that he actually tagged the players account to make sure he read this makes this a manufactured controversy. If you take personally tagged shots at minor leaguers that are struggling, which most reporters are above, you would get a lot of these reactions.

• cosanostra71 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Hey, at least they have Jeff Mathis on the bench if Arencibia continues to struggle at the plate.

3. igbomb - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I can’t defend Arencibia’s childish response, but it’s certainly fair to also point out that the author of that tweet is obviously being intentionally antagonistic. Fat or skinny, a fair amount of sports writers seem to lack a level of respect to the subjects of their musings (*cough* Simers *cough*).

• baseballisboring - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Exactly…it was a harsh comment, and he directed the tweet at him too. But come on, the fat joke thing is just too easy.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

While Arencibia makes himself sound stupid with his comment maybe sportswriters should realize that them taking snarky pot shots at players may cause the players to take their own shots at those same critics. Say he’s not playing well, leave the part about how guys who haven’t played are doing better out of it.

5. marshmallowsnake - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

What does JP stand for? Juvenile Punk?

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Thank goodness we don’t have journalists covering our every move at work. I may be inclined to call some of them out when telling me I basically suck at my job. They may be above the old “Oh yeah, well you’re fat” routine, but not much.

7. Francisco (FC) - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

And to think… the Jays could have kept Napoli…. dagnabbit!

8. jrd8523 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Its extremely immature, but you know what, so was the lame dig by the twitter account.  If you are a reporter and you wouldnt say it when the man is in the room with you, which he surely wouldnt, than you cant be surprised if a young hot head doesnt show maturity and restraint when you blurt it out on social media.   Doesnt make it right in any sense, and standing up for J.P. here is a losing cause, but crying about immunity from personal digs and turning on the player… Thats just the insulters being upset about being insulted.  Glad the bloggers can unite and renounce this one. Good publicity for the twitter account, thats where the future of weak reporting is going thanks to social media. Provocation of the weak.

9. lameasish - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Isn’t this blogger the guy that used to be fat and now has gross skin hanging from his body? I would rather be a player that is having a rough start over being a lame blogger. The guy who wrote the tweet was taking a shot, why can’t JP?

10. lameasish - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I also forgot to add how mature Craig is being, nice little bit at the end.

• Alex K - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Yeah, I agree. That was funny, but immature. Just like Arencibia’s comment. It’s one thing to rip someone for saying something immature, however, in that same post it probably isn’t a good idea to say a just as immature thing.

I’m sure all of that isn’t lost on Craig, though.

11. ranoversquarells - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Awesome end note …

12. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Totally mature. I give Mirlis credit for not responding with “well, I may be fat but you suck and at least I can diet.” Because I probably would if I were in his place.

And JP could have responded a la Chamberlain to Lady Astor, sir one day I will hit again, but you will still be fat.

• schlom - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Winston Churchill, not Neville Chamberlain – there’s a huge difference there. He also reportedly had another great one:

Lady Astor: If you were my husband, I’d poison your tea.
      Winston: If I were your husband, I’d drink it

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Damnit, meant churchill and typed chamberlain. This baby is messing me up (and quite possibly could have typed Wilt Chamberlain =\

Thanks.

And hadn’t read/heard that second quote, which might be even better.

13. lameasish - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

@jparencibia9 I prefer ice cream. Besides, I’ve seen enough donuts looking at your hit total after each game this season. #WastedDraftPick
    11:04am – 18 Apr 12 via web

That is from the guy that tweeted. We should respect him guys, he took the high road….

14. skids003 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it. Freedom of the press has no responsibility or accountability attached to it anymore, but if you think you can take potshots at people, be prepared for a retalitatory response.

15. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Oh yeah, well, your mother!

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

yea… well… I HAD SEX WITH YOUR WIFE!

• sknut - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

That makes one of us.

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

the correct response is “he’s wife’s in a coma”

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I thought the correct phrase was, “Glad someone is.”

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

nope. its from a seinfeld episode titled ‘the comeback”
        I hate seinfeld but anytime some says something along the line of “yea, well I…..” i instantly think of that scene.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I think the correct response is….let’s get off of Mom’s cause’ I just got off yours!

16. yuazda - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Hard to defend either side here. I had no idea what he meant by “ranked behind” until a followup tweet indicated he was talking about fantasy baseball (his own team, no less). So a sportswriter sends out a childish tweet about a player’s poor performance and its effect on his fantasy team and INCLUDES THE PLAYER’S TWITTER HANDLE so he’s guaranteed to see it. What was the purpose?

• huhyepwhat - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

That’s how bottom feeding reporting works. He didn’t direct it towards his handle not hoping for a response… and he got it. Players are supposed to be zoo animals. Doesn’t matter if fringe writers are poking them with sticks. He was smart, he went for a kid who hasn’t had the full range of PR seminars yet. His response to JP shows how much he wants this.

17. cinfante54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You think when he read the tweet he said it to himself in Tim Kurkjian’s voice?

18. casey5jones - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Someone mentioned hard to defend either one of them and I agree.

That said: Craig, pretty good post until the hypocritical note at the end. You’re better than that and I like your posts, no need bring yourself down to that level by defending one idiot from another idiot.

19. echech88 - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Not shocked a sports writer would come to the defense of another sports writer who DID DO exactly what you said we should praise him for not doing, which was sinking to the same level.

So that’s that. JP IS terrible so far this year and Mirlis IS morbidly obese. Objective analysis of two idiots.

20. schlom - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Craig, since when did this become an us (reporters) vs. them (players) thing? As bad as it was for Arencibia to reply to this guy (obviously he should have just ignored him, the way the rest of us did before today) but why don’t you call out the gross unprofessionalism of your fellow media member? There doesn’t seem to be any reason for him to direct the tweet directly at Arencibia,

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Well this site takes shots at guys also so calling this new twitter fool out would just complete the hypocritical circle.

21. pittman25 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Agree with those who are against you on this, Craig. It’s hardly fair (or as you say, mature) to slant this entirely against Arencibia as you clearly did. The reporter tweeted that to Arencibia’s personal twitter account. I’m not saying I approve of Arencibia’s response, far from it. But if you poke the bear like that, you should hardly be surprised when the bear strikes back. Both sides look equally foolish and unprofessional in this, not just Arencibia.

22. bobdira - Apr 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Those who can, do. Those who can’t do………..have blogs.

23. sportsradiony - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

All Eric did was make a comment regarding JP’s statline.. which was true… seemingly a statement geared towards those involved in fantasy baseball.. JP’s reaction was a bit strange, but Eric has a tough skin, and surely can take any criticism….! Call in to Eric’s show this Sunday at 10:00pm, heard on Long Island’s AM1240-WGBB… or listen online at http://sportsradiony.com

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate