Apr 19, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia is having a pretty awful start to his season: .063/.118/.156 in 35 plate appearances. That’s pretty rough, especially because when you’re a major leaguer, people notice that sort of thing.
Eric Mirlis of the New York Sports Exchange radio show noticed, and he tweeted about it, saying that Arencibia’s stat line “ranked behind guys like Mike Morse and V-Mart so far this season…and they have not played.”
Harsh? Maybe. But true, and in putting Arencibia’s start in that kind of perspective, he’s explaining something to his readers.
J.P. Arencibia, however, had a problem with that, and tweeted this in response:
— jp arencibia (@jparencibia9) April 18, 2012
Totally mature. I give Mirlis credit for not responding with “well, I may be fat but you suck and at least I can diet.” Because I probably would if I were in his place.
In other news, I wonder if going after a member of the media for being fat constitutes “harassment” under MLB’s new social media policy. I’d assume not, but then again, I’d assume a lot of things. Such as “major league players aren’t so damn thin-skinned that they can’t resist turning into schoolyard bullies when someone notes how poorly they’re doing.”
*Note: though the picture I used here shows Arencibia actually hitting a baseball, I assure you that it is real and has not been doctored in any way. Though he doesn’t know how to do it anymore, he used to do that once.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)