Apr 19, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia is having a pretty awful start to his season: .063/.118/.156 in 35 plate appearances. That’s pretty rough, especially because when you’re a major leaguer, people notice that sort of thing.
Eric Mirlis of the New York Sports Exchange radio show noticed, and he tweeted about it, saying that Arencibia’s stat line “ranked behind guys like Mike Morse and V-Mart so far this season…and they have not played.”
Harsh? Maybe. But true, and in putting Arencibia’s start in that kind of perspective, he’s explaining something to his readers.
J.P. Arencibia, however, had a problem with that, and tweeted this in response:
— jp arencibia (@jparencibia9) April 18, 2012
Totally mature. I give Mirlis credit for not responding with “well, I may be fat but you suck and at least I can diet.” Because I probably would if I were in his place.
In other news, I wonder if going after a member of the media for being fat constitutes “harassment” under MLB’s new social media policy. I’d assume not, but then again, I’d assume a lot of things. Such as “major league players aren’t so damn thin-skinned that they can’t resist turning into schoolyard bullies when someone notes how poorly they’re doing.”
*Note: though the picture I used here shows Arencibia actually hitting a baseball, I assure you that it is real and has not been doctored in any way. Though he doesn’t know how to do it anymore, he used to do that once.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)