Apr 19, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia is having a pretty awful start to his season: .063/.118/.156 in 35 plate appearances. That’s pretty rough, especially because when you’re a major leaguer, people notice that sort of thing.
Eric Mirlis of the New York Sports Exchange radio show noticed, and he tweeted about it, saying that Arencibia’s stat line “ranked behind guys like Mike Morse and V-Mart so far this season…and they have not played.”
Harsh? Maybe. But true, and in putting Arencibia’s start in that kind of perspective, he’s explaining something to his readers.
J.P. Arencibia, however, had a problem with that, and tweeted this in response:
— jp arencibia (@jparencibia9) April 18, 2012
Totally mature. I give Mirlis credit for not responding with “well, I may be fat but you suck and at least I can diet.” Because I probably would if I were in his place.
In other news, I wonder if going after a member of the media for being fat constitutes “harassment” under MLB’s new social media policy. I’d assume not, but then again, I’d assume a lot of things. Such as “major league players aren’t so damn thin-skinned that they can’t resist turning into schoolyard bullies when someone notes how poorly they’re doing.”
*Note: though the picture I used here shows Arencibia actually hitting a baseball, I assure you that it is real and has not been doctored in any way. Though he doesn’t know how to do it anymore, he used to do that once.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)