Apr 19, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Lance Berkman returned to the Cardinals’ lineup and played two games with a slightly torn calf muscle, but the first baseman suffered a setback while chasing a foul ball yesterday and said afterward that “the disabled list is a possibility for sure.”
Berkman explained to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that if resting the injury for a week while on the active roster didn’t keep him from aggravating it almost immediately a longer absence might be needed.
For now he’s officially listed as day-to-day, but general manager John Mozeliak hinted that a roster move may be coming and at the very least Berkman is unlikely to play again until next week even if he avoids the DL.
Berkman was off to a great start, hitting .348 with a 1.022 OPS in seven games, but the good news for the Cardinals is that rookie fill-in Matt Carpenter has batted .375 with five extra-base hits and a 1.120 OPS in 10 games.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17