Apr 19, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Lance Berkman returned to the Cardinals’ lineup and played two games with a slightly torn calf muscle, but the first baseman suffered a setback while chasing a foul ball yesterday and said afterward that “the disabled list is a possibility for sure.”
Berkman explained to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that if resting the injury for a week while on the active roster didn’t keep him from aggravating it almost immediately a longer absence might be needed.
For now he’s officially listed as day-to-day, but general manager John Mozeliak hinted that a roster move may be coming and at the very least Berkman is unlikely to play again until next week even if he avoids the DL.
Berkman was off to a great start, hitting .348 with a 1.022 OPS in seven games, but the good news for the Cardinals is that rookie fill-in Matt Carpenter has batted .375 with five extra-base hits and a 1.120 OPS in 10 games.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)