Apr 19, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
The Fenway Park that will celebrate its 100th anniversary tomorrow is a radically different place than it was in 1912. Heck, it’s a substantially different place than it was in 2002 when the new owners took over and made the masterful renovations that make the park a gem today.
But for every good idea there are some not-so-good ideas that never made it past the planning stages. Alex Speier of WEEI details some of those in a fun article today.
Among the ideas: bullpen seats. Theater boxes patrons would climb a ladder to get to. Luxury boxes above the Green Monster. Rooftop seats not unlike Wrigley Field. All of which probably sounded good for a couple of seconds but which, thankfully, never came to pass.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)