Prince Fielder stole a base last night and it was glorious

Apr 19, 2012, 1:30 PM EST

Prince Fielder AP

Prince Fielder has stolen a few bases before. Almost all players have. Sometimes they just give one to you and the official scorer doesn’t call it defensive indifference.

But last night in Kansas City Fielder took a lead, took off and beat the throw from Humberto Quintero and it was pretty darn cool to see.

Jeff Sullivan has a GIF of it over at SB Nation. You won’t be able to take your eyes off of it.

1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

From time to time he mistakes a base for a pizza box..

2. phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

They will be excavating second base before the start of today’s game.

3. hasbeen5 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Y’know, it looks like he’s really slow and all that, but this could be another Moyer type post. Could any of us actually steel a base in a major league game?

For me, not no but hell no.

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I stole maybe three bases in high school. And i’ve aged 25 years and added another 80 pounds. I doubt I could get to second on a wild pitch.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

“Your turn, Miggy!” ~ Prince

• hasbeen5 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

“Si, motherf*$%er”

5. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This is the Royals we’re talking about. No amount of science, or statistics can explain their futility. Even when other people (not their fans, or anyone tasked with selling tickets or advertising) say they have good players.

The once trendy pick to “surprise some people” have started 3-9, lost seven in a row, and HAVE YET TO WIN A HOME GAME!

And don’t come with the small sample size, or it’s early. Let me tell you about a sample size. 20 years of being historicly shitty, is that enough of a sample size?

(yes, I’m mad, bro)

• cur68 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hey, hey, hey, c’mon sporty, be fair: if that had been Sally Perez behind the plate, he’da gunned down Prince’s blimpy butt so easily you’d a though Prince had strolled over there to 2nd…none of which changes what you said one iota, of course…*sigh*….

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Just in case Craig’s link doesn’t work, I found the footage.

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

2:36 seems about right for original tape and one replay.

7. aceshigh11 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

He looks like Chris Farley (as motivational speaker, Matt Foley) collapsing through the coffee table when he dives.

My second early ’90s era SNL reference of the day. Must be feeling nostalgic.

8. Gobias Industries - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Take that, Arencibia.

9. acdc363 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That was strangely beautiful

10. anythingbutyanks - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

You think his man boobs were sore afterward? I do.

11. rooney24 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He definitely is quicker than you would expect. I recall him legging out an inside the park HR against the Twins a few years ago when they still played in the Metrodome.

To show my age, I also recall when his dad stole his first base, as it made news at the time. Cecil was pretty big and in his early 30’s when he stole his first base.

12. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Let me get this right.

Fielder stole a base against the Royals?

Ivan Rodriguez has to retire because no one will give the greatest defensive catcher of all time a job?

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Dayton Moore. The worst general manager baseball has seen since the Robison brothers in ’99.

Look it up.

13. foreverchipper10 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Honestly when I saw the stat line on my fantasy team I thought it was a glitch to see Fielder with a SB.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5330)