Apr 19, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Sure enough a contending team did just that according to Allen’s agent, who says the first baseman/corner outfielder was claimed by Tampa Bay.
Allen is a flawed player, striking out too much and offering little defensive value, and he’s yet to experience any success in the majors. However, he’s also still just 26 years old and has hit .286 with 59 homers and a .956 OPS in 253 games at Triple-A.
Tampa Bay and manager Joe Maddon are great at mixing and matching spare parts to magnify their usefulness, so it’s a good landing spot for Allen assuming the Rays can find some room for his left-handed bat in the lineup.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)