Apr 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Viva organizational depth: The Yankees have signed Nelson Figueroa to a minor league deal.
Figueroa was in the Blue Jays system to start the season, but hasn’t made any major or minor league appearances in 2012. Last year he posted a 8.69 ERA in 29 innings for the Astros before being cut loose, signed by the Pirates and then cut loose again.
He can start. He can come out of the pen. He’s just probably past the point where he can do it effectively for a championship-caliber club.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)