Apr 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Viva organizational depth: The Yankees have signed Nelson Figueroa to a minor league deal.
Figueroa was in the Blue Jays system to start the season, but hasn’t made any major or minor league appearances in 2012. Last year he posted a 8.69 ERA in 29 innings for the Astros before being cut loose, signed by the Pirates and then cut loose again.
He can start. He can come out of the pen. He’s just probably past the point where he can do it effectively for a championship-caliber club.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)