Apr 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Viva organizational depth: The Yankees have signed Nelson Figueroa to a minor league deal.
Figueroa was in the Blue Jays system to start the season, but hasn’t made any major or minor league appearances in 2012. Last year he posted a 8.69 ERA in 29 innings for the Astros before being cut loose, signed by the Pirates and then cut loose again.
He can start. He can come out of the pen. He’s just probably past the point where he can do it effectively for a championship-caliber club.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)