Theo Epstein wasn’t invited to Fenway’s 100th

Apr 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Theo Epstein

I’m not sure when the Fenway Park centennial celebration became an awards show after party, but apparently the guest list is pretty darn important. First there was the no/yes status of Terry Francona. Now it’s Theo Epstein’s absence that is making headlines.

Here’s Sean McAdam, reporting that Theo wasn’t even invited:

The news came as a surprise to principal owner John Henry, who said he was unaware of the decision until contacted by a reporter.

“Apparently we decided to just invite uniformed personnel,” said Henry, noting that the team hadn’t invited former GMs Mike Port and Dan Duquette either.

No Mike Port!  God, those bastards!

1. danaking - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I was a Red Sox fan for years, but they’ve turned into Yankees Lite. A soap opera a day.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Actually it’s a media-fueled soap opera. They’re marking the anniverasary of the construction of the stadium that they play in. Does anyone really care who’s invited to the festivities? I know I don’t. Hell, I’ll bet Theo doesn’t give a rat’s ass.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

FWIW, the Yankees haven’t been a soap opera a day since George Steinbrenner was around.

Maybe a soap opera a month – and sometimes even weekly – but they’re smooth sailing these days compared to the never-ending Red Sox drama.

2. mianfr - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

My God, you’d think this stadium was the Dome of the Rock…

• Old Gator - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Not a chance. If Fenway had a dome, there’d be home runs flying out all over the place. Even an elf like Bucky Dent could hit one out. No. Leave it uncovered. I mean, what do we need another Trop for? Fenway is already ugly enough just from having Youkilis in it.

• enzohernandez - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Um, yea…..bet you’re registered to vote too, eh?

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM

If you’re celebrating 100 years of history,. why wouldn’t you invite everyone who has been a part of that 100 years of history? Send a mail blast out to all former employees – those who can make it and provided a current address can go.

It’s not like you’d have an overwhelming amount of people, considering all the deceased and those too old for travel – not to mention people like Theo who have new jobs to be mindful of anyway.

• derklempner - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’m fairly certain the Red Sox know where they can reach Theo…

4. 12strikes - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Is it a bunch of 13 year old girls running this celebration?

5. makeham98 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

What about Manram?

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If Terry Francona was the construction manager of those world series teams then Theo Epstein was certainly the architect.
    How the hell does he not even get an invite? Weird and sad…Red Sox ownership is like a 16 year old girl who was jilted by her boyfriend. Sad.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Dan Duquette was just as responsible, if not more responsible (Tim Wakefield, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, Jason Varitek, Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon).

I mean…DAMN.

Now, I’m not short-changing Theo, but Duquette is CRIMINALLY overlooked when people discuss their two World Series, especially ’04.

• hep3 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

What about BILLY BEANE !?!?!?!?!?!

I saw a movie that protrayed him taking the Sawx GM job and then inexplicably changing his mind. Shouldn’t he be invited?

7. yankeesfanlen - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The Roosevelts have declined to invite the neauveu rich Vanderbilts however the Astors are always welcome

• jimbo1949 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“And this is good old Boston, The home of the bean and the cod, Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots, And the Cabots talk only to God”

• nolanwiffle - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The Astros? Why the hell are they welcome????

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Knew someone was going to read that wrong

• nolanwiffle - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

It was a joke……sleep well tonight.

8. canowack - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Why the hell would they invite him? He is working for another team isn’t he? Pretty sure…

9. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Boston and Dan Shaugnessy deserve each other. What a ridiculous franchise.

/looks at the pictures of all the Dodgers worship inside the stadium where the Mets play and weeps silently

• wendell7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

nobody deserves Dan Shaugnessy

10. ronswansonsdinner - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM

LOL the Red Sox ownership is such a joke. Lucchino comes across as a huge prick and Henry clearly only cares about money. As a Rays fan, I’m enjoying it but you have to invite Theo back. The guy won 2 World Series during his tenure.

11. aceshigh11 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Would it even be appropriate for players or personnel who are CURRENTLY employed by OTHER teams to be invited?

I honestly don’t know how that works. When the Yankees had their big celebration a few years ago, did any active players who happened to be on a different team at the time get invited and/or show up?

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

It’s different for a player to miss for something like this. If they have a game their team needs them there to be available to play. A team president doesn’t need to be at every game and most GM’s miss games throughout the season for many reasons like spending time at some of their affiliates games. It comes down to they should have at least had the common courtesy to extend Theo and invitation and leave it up to him to decide if he can/should attend or not. The Sox haven’t been known for doing things with much class the last 8 months though.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

No, I know…I was just curious if there was some unspoken rule about that sort of thing.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Ahh. I see. Carry on then!

12. iranuke - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Just another example of the 24 hour news cycle.

13. boomerdt - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Now I’m only the tender age of 31 ( so my Red Sox pain wasn’t nearly as long as others). I grew up in Massachusetts for 18 years, loved the red sox throughout my life. Heck I convinced my Dad to go to St. Louis for game 4 in 2004 because it was the only one I could go to (tried to get the family to Colorado in 2007 to start a tradition)…. but for many reasons I just don’t love them like I used to.

The worst part – I can’t even say they are too “Yankee” like… because I think Yankee management would invite everyone to such a ceremony. The Red Sox are just thoughtless. I don’t know who this team is anymore.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

To be fair, Joe Torre was not invited to the old Yankee Stadium closing ceremony in 2008. The difference, however, is that he had gone on a media tour after his departure from the Yankees slamming them, and he also wrote a tell-all book about his time with the team.

Still, Torre was invited back to the Steinbrenner monument dedication ceremony in 2010 and was at last year’s Old Timers’ Day (in uniform), so if that rift can be healed that quickly I’m sure someday Theo Epstein will be invited back to Fenway.

14. Jack Marshall - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Why not the coaches? Why not the scouts? Why not the clubhouse boys and trainers?
    The celebration is for the fans, and the fans care about players and managers. I’d be going to see Steady Eddie Bressoud, Bill Lee, Looie, George Scott, Fisk, Dave Henderson, and Dewey. I’m grateful to Theo and the Duke, but really, this is a stupid controversy. The team made the cut at the logical place.

• wendell7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM

3 cheers for Dewey!!

on a side note, is Roger Clemens invited or is he busy with other things these days?

• derklempner - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM

You mock the fact that the “other guys” employees shouldn’t all be invited to the celebration, but I can tell you (from experience working for a team) that every person who works for a Major League Baseball club is an integral part of making that business a success or a failure. That goes for the people slinging concessions to the front office white-collar workers and down to the players on the field. Championships aren’t the only things that make a team a success.

15. psousa1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It’s become media driven hysteria about the 100 year celebration. John Henry owns a soccer team? How dare he. He owns a nascar team – say it ain’t so! This is the best ownership that team ever had. Ever. The idiots in the Boston baseball media long for the old days when the team was a perrenial also ran. They loved it. To them it was class warfare. These are the same idiots, when the Yawkey Trust put the team up for sale went nuts every day campaigning for Frank McCourt and another group who had even less money than McCourt. How did that work out for the Dodgers? They bashed this ownership group when they bought the team saying they were in it for the quick buck and out, they bashed them when they hired Epstein saying “this is how out of touch they are by hiring this kid on the cheap who has no experience” then they bashed them when they hired Francona. Do they have any cred? None. The idiots in the Boston media are trying to make you believe this celebration was a spur of the moment thing they came up with a week or two ago. I sat in the half empty park while it was raining watching Dennis Lamp or a Danny Darwin type get his ass kicked by the Brewers. Give me this any day.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Brewers, hell yeah!

16. Old Gator - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Fielder was captured in the act by the security cameras. Should they go pick him up now – we know where he lives – or just let him keep doing it until his ACL pops? The clock, after all, is ticking….

17. mqcarpenter - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

This is BS. Bad blood or not this guy got them their rings after 100 years of waiting. They owe this to the fans.

18. bigleagues - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM

This really is inexcusable and EVERYTHING that has come out between October and today has pointed back to one central A$$H0LE: Larry Lucchino.

Lucky has done a lot of good for the Red Sox organization, but really the truth is beginning to slap everyone in the face AND become a source of embarrassment and shame for John Henry. Lucchino’s meddling on the baseball side has and is having significant long term damaging repercussions for the organization.

I’m now firmly of the mind that Henry should have done whatever was necessary to retire or render impotent – Larry Lucchino.

• cjbdelaney - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Absolutely. I couldn’t agree more. I think Lucchino needs to leave the baseball operations alone. I also think he was the ‘leak’ about Tito last year. Despicable.

• gloccamorra - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Yup. If you need a new ballpark built (Camden Yards, Petco) or an historic one renovated (Fenway), Larry Lucchino is your man. That’s the business side of baseball, and he’s good at it, as was Walter O’Malley. Unlike O’Malley, who knew enough to leave the baseball side to baseball people, Larry can’t keep his hands off. He’ll get burned eventually by the toxic Boston media, bedeviling all things Red Sox since Harry Frazee sold Babe Ruth.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug