Apr 19, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
After giving up a total of seven runs (six earned) on 17 hits and eight walks over 11 1/3 innings against the Twins and Mariners in his first two major league starts, Yu Darvish had the best outing of his brief career tonight against the powerhouse Tigers. Go figure.
Darvish limited the Tigers to just one run on two hits over 6 1/3 innings as part of a 10-3 win. The only run scored on an RBI ground out by Don Kelly in the bottom of the fourth inning. His command was still a bit shaky at times, as he walked five and struck out five while throwing 70 out of 121 pitches for strikes. Still, he managed to make it through six innings for the first time.
Mike Napoli caught Darvish’s first two major league starts, but it’s worth noting that Yorvit Torrealba was behind the plate tonight. Rangers manager Ron Washington wants to stay away from using one catcher in particular for Darvish’s outings, so they’ll likely continue to alternate in the future.
Darvish now owns a 3.57 ERA and 14/13 K/BB ratio over his first 17 2/3 innings in the big leagues. He’ll have another tough test next week when he faces the Yankees at home.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
This is a big trade. At least in mass.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jul 30, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Who else needs a veteran closer?
Jul 30, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have their ace and now have their sights set on catching the Yankees.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Bidding war, baby!
Jul 30, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Money? Health? And what the hell is a “hip doctor” anyway?
Jul 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“If I wait to be 100 percent, it’s going to be season-ending.”
Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
We should totally have live “Jeopardy!”
Jul 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Houston made a run at him.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT
A playoff rotation of Kershaw, Greinke and Price would be reDONKulous.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
The Cardinals may be small market, but they’re certainly not small revenue.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Moss is hitting just .217/.208/.487 this season but he has a line of .254/.340/.504 over the previous three years.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Even if the deal wasn’t done, the Mets should’ve taken Wilmer Flores out of the game.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:33 AM EDT
Trades are judged twice: when they’re made and a couple of years later when we see how they turned out. For now, however, this is a win-win deal for Texas and Philadelphia.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 AM EDT
The Astros regain the lead in the AL West by taking another one from the Angels.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:12 AM EDT
In a bit of an oddity, two World Series contenders made a trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Unique situation Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Houston defeated Anaheim 6-3 to jump back into first place in the American League West.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
It’s a massive two-team, eight-player blockbuster deal that will net the Phillies a frontline starter for this year and years to come while injecting more young talent into the Phillies’ under-construction minor league system.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
It’s now even more imperative that St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak secures a first baseman before the July 31 trade deadline.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 7
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 87
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)