Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
Schumaker, who was just activated from the disabled list this afternoon and started in place of Jay, ran into the outfield wall after attempting to make a leaping catch on a fly ball off the bat of Pirates’ outfielder Alex Presley in the top of the first inning. He met with a team trainer and manager Mike Matheny before being replaced by Eric Komatsu.
The good news is that it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Schumaker merely had the wind knocked out of him and that it was Matheny’s decision for him to leave the game. There’s a good chance he’ll be available this weekend.
Schumaker began the season on the disabled list after tearing his right oblique muscle during spring training. He wasn’t expected to return from his rehab assignment this quickly, but the Cardinals were forced to speed up his timetable following the injuries to Jay and Lance Berkman.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)