Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Schumaker, who was just activated from the disabled list this afternoon and started in place of Jay, ran into the outfield wall after attempting to make a leaping catch on a fly ball off the bat of Pirates’ outfielder Alex Presley in the top of the first inning. He met with a team trainer and manager Mike Matheny before being replaced by Eric Komatsu.
The good news is that it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Schumaker merely had the wind knocked out of him and that it was Matheny’s decision for him to leave the game. There’s a good chance he’ll be available this weekend.
Schumaker began the season on the disabled list after tearing his right oblique muscle during spring training. He wasn’t expected to return from his rehab assignment this quickly, but the Cardinals were forced to speed up his timetable following the injuries to Jay and Lance Berkman.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)