Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Schumaker, who was just activated from the disabled list this afternoon and started in place of Jay, ran into the outfield wall after attempting to make a leaping catch on a fly ball off the bat of Pirates’ outfielder Alex Presley in the top of the first inning. He met with a team trainer and manager Mike Matheny before being replaced by Eric Komatsu.
The good news is that it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Schumaker merely had the wind knocked out of him and that it was Matheny’s decision for him to leave the game. There’s a good chance he’ll be available this weekend.
Schumaker began the season on the disabled list after tearing his right oblique muscle during spring training. He wasn’t expected to return from his rehab assignment this quickly, but the Cardinals were forced to speed up his timetable following the injuries to Jay and Lance Berkman.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)