Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Schumaker, who was just activated from the disabled list this afternoon and started in place of Jay, ran into the outfield wall after attempting to make a leaping catch on a fly ball off the bat of Pirates’ outfielder Alex Presley in the top of the first inning. He met with a team trainer and manager Mike Matheny before being replaced by Eric Komatsu.
The good news is that it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Schumaker merely had the wind knocked out of him and that it was Matheny’s decision for him to leave the game. There’s a good chance he’ll be available this weekend.
Schumaker began the season on the disabled list after tearing his right oblique muscle during spring training. He wasn’t expected to return from his rehab assignment this quickly, but the Cardinals were forced to speed up his timetable following the injuries to Jay and Lance Berkman.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)