Apr 20, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Schumaker, who was just activated from the disabled list this afternoon and started in place of Jay, ran into the outfield wall after attempting to make a leaping catch on a fly ball off the bat of Pirates’ outfielder Alex Presley in the top of the first inning. He met with a team trainer and manager Mike Matheny before being replaced by Eric Komatsu.
The good news is that it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Schumaker merely had the wind knocked out of him and that it was Matheny’s decision for him to leave the game. There’s a good chance he’ll be available this weekend.
Schumaker began the season on the disabled list after tearing his right oblique muscle during spring training. He wasn’t expected to return from his rehab assignment this quickly, but the Cardinals were forced to speed up his timetable following the injuries to Jay and Lance Berkman.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 101
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 1
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 25
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (102)