Apr 20, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
We know this, because that’s the refrain he uses to turn what should be a one sentence thing in a notes column — Albert Pujols has yet to hit a home run this year — into a full-blown column about a 54 at bat homerless stretch:
Waiting for Albert …
At 8:20 p.m., he steps to the plate in the fourth inning for his second at-bat, takes a strike, then lowers the bar to an entirely new level. He fouls a pitch that soars into the press box and lands at my feet. This meaning he has now hit more balls to me than over the fence.
In this Plaschke is correct: it’s all about him and his search for a column idea. Pujols doesn’t care, nor should he. Nor should the Angels. Not yet anyway. Because as Plaschke himself notes in a column-nullifying sentence near the end, Pujols went 107 at bats without a homer last season at one point. And, in case anyone forgot, the season went just fine for Pujols and the Cardinals.
Call me in a few weeks if Pujols is still homerless. And if the Angels are still seven back of the Rangers, or more.
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 7
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 128
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (129)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)