Brewers starter Chris Narveson has a torn rotator cuff

Apr 20, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Chris Narveson struggled in his last start Sunday, allowing five runs in four innings against the Braves, and today the Brewers placed the left-hander on the disabled list with a torn rotator cuff.

There are different levels of severity and it’s possible he could pitch again this season, but if surgery is required he’s likely done for the rest of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013 as well. Generally speaking rotator cuff surgeries are even more difficult to recover from than Tommy John elbow surgeries.

Narveson made 56 starts and threw 329 total innings with a 4.75 ERA for the Brewers during the past two seasons, but the strength of the Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Shaun Marcum front four would take some of the sting out of losing Narveson as the fifth starter.

Marco Estrada is seemingly the most obvious fill-in, at least in the short term.

1. btwicey - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Time to give peralta his shot

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I like where your head is at but I’d actually like them to go outside the box and bring up Tyler Thornburg. It wont happen but I wouldnt mind seeing it.

• brewcitybummer - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I believe if called up now Peralta could accumulate a full year of service time. I think they will try to hold out a few more weeks even if Estrada gets lit up.

• brewcitybummer - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM

…AND I’M WRONG AGAIN!!!!!

2. foodstamp69 - Apr 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

this sux kids not a 1 or 2 but decent pitcher none the less. someone tell me y any pitcher the brewers bring up through the farm they blow out there shoulder within 3 yrs of comin too bigs

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM

There’s just nothing true about that statement at all.

3. spudchukar - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

A couple of years ago I needed shoulder surgery. Turned out to be considerably more damage than the original diagnosis, ruptured bicep tendon, torn labrum, which needed a screw and repair to a torn rotator cuff which was what I believed to be the primary problem. The orthopedic surgeon, someone who is nearing retirement informed me that almost everyone has torn rotator cuffs to some degree. Food for thought here, but not meant to diminish the severity of Narveson’s problem.

4. foodstamp69 - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM

i dont know for sure ii guess i shouldve said but i been watching the brewers most of my life n i sure remember alot of the guys cpming up wit lame arms

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3496)