Apr 20, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
There are different levels of severity and it’s possible he could pitch again this season, but if surgery is required he’s likely done for the rest of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013 as well. Generally speaking rotator cuff surgeries are even more difficult to recover from than Tommy John elbow surgeries.
Narveson made 56 starts and threw 329 total innings with a 4.75 ERA for the Brewers during the past two seasons, but the strength of the Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Shaun Marcum front four would take some of the sting out of losing Narveson as the fifth starter.
Marco Estrada is seemingly the most obvious fill-in, at least in the short term.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)