Apr 20, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
There are different levels of severity and it’s possible he could pitch again this season, but if surgery is required he’s likely done for the rest of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013 as well. Generally speaking rotator cuff surgeries are even more difficult to recover from than Tommy John elbow surgeries.
Narveson made 56 starts and threw 329 total innings with a 4.75 ERA for the Brewers during the past two seasons, but the strength of the Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Shaun Marcum front four would take some of the sting out of losing Narveson as the fifth starter.
Marco Estrada is seemingly the most obvious fill-in, at least in the short term.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 7
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 159
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (173)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)