Apr 20, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
There are different levels of severity and it’s possible he could pitch again this season, but if surgery is required he’s likely done for the rest of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013 as well. Generally speaking rotator cuff surgeries are even more difficult to recover from than Tommy John elbow surgeries.
Narveson made 56 starts and threw 329 total innings with a 4.75 ERA for the Brewers during the past two seasons, but the strength of the Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Shaun Marcum front four would take some of the sting out of losing Narveson as the fifth starter.
Marco Estrada is seemingly the most obvious fill-in, at least in the short term.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)