Apr 20, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
There are different levels of severity and it’s possible he could pitch again this season, but if surgery is required he’s likely done for the rest of 2012 and perhaps part of 2013 as well. Generally speaking rotator cuff surgeries are even more difficult to recover from than Tommy John elbow surgeries.
Narveson made 56 starts and threw 329 total innings with a 4.75 ERA for the Brewers during the past two seasons, but the strength of the Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Shaun Marcum front four would take some of the sting out of losing Narveson as the fifth starter.
Marco Estrada is seemingly the most obvious fill-in, at least in the short term.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)