Apr 20, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
From the annals of chutzpah, here’s Bud Selig commenting yesterday on the Oakland A’s San Jose problem and the potential dispute with the Giants over territorial rights:
“I’m always hopeful when there are debates amongst clubs, I try to lead teams in a direction of solving their problems themselves,” Selig said. “However, this group has an interesting comment whenever they get in trouble: ‘That’s why you’re here, Commissioner.’ That’s what they tell me. I don’t know that that’s a particularly good answer …
Hahaha, that’s funny, see. Because, I seem to remember Bud Selig and Major League Baseball setting up a TASK FORCE FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE OF FIGURING THIS OUT THREE YEARS AGO. A task force that has yet to produce a single report, suggestion or opinion. They haven’t even cleared their throats once.
I knows it’s rather nuts to assume that when Major League Baseball says it’s going to study something and come up with a potential solution that it will, you know, actually do that, but I guess I’m just unreasonable that way.
But hey, if I’m running the A’s I take Bud’s suggestion and solve this problem myself. I purchase the land in San Jose and start building a stadium and dare Selig, the Giants and whoever else wants to do so to sue me to stop it. I bet then we’d see how quickly they move when forced to, as opposed to sitting around and waiting for their problems to go away.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)