Bud Selig to the A’s: figure it out yourselves!

Apr 20, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

From the annals of chutzpah, here’s Bud Selig commenting yesterday on the Oakland A’s San Jose problem and the potential dispute with the Giants over territorial rights:

“I’m always hopeful when there are debates amongst clubs, I try to lead teams in a direction of solving their problems themselves,” Selig said. “However, this group has an interesting comment whenever they get in trouble: ‘That’s why you’re here, Commissioner.’ That’s what they tell me. I don’t know that that’s a particularly good answer …

Hahaha, that’s funny, see. Because, I seem to remember Bud Selig and Major League Baseball setting up a TASK FORCE FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE OF FIGURING THIS OUT THREE YEARS AGO. A task force that has yet to produce a single report, suggestion or opinion. They haven’t even cleared their throats once.

I knows it’s rather nuts to assume that when Major League Baseball says it’s going to study something and come up with a potential solution that it will, you know, actually do that, but I guess I’m just unreasonable that way.

But hey, if I’m running the A’s I take Bud’s suggestion and solve this problem myself. I purchase the land in San Jose and start building a stadium and dare Selig, the Giants and whoever else wants to do so to sue me to stop it.  I bet then we’d see how quickly they move when forced to, as opposed to sitting around and waiting for their problems to go away.

1. lardin - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Exactly what the A’s should do…. First Comes the land purchase and the stadium being built, Then comes the lawsuit to stop it. Next will come the cries of Antitrust violations and then baseball will force a settlement because the last thing they want is their Anti trust exemption under scrutiny.

• chill1184 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Exactly, the whole territorial rights rules in MLB (or for that matter in the other four leagues too) makes no sense. If teams are supposed to compete with each other on the field why can’t they compete for fans.

• lardin - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

The reasoning, Craig correct me if I am wrong, is that the league acts as a single business entity and therefor has control over where teams play. Even though the league is made up of 30 separate businesses, they are supposed to act as one.

But we know this is not the case as seen by individual teams having there own TV Deals.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

It may act as a single entity, or at least try to, but legally speaking it is 30 separate business entities subject to an overarching governing body. It has a judicially-created antitrust exemption, however. If the exemption were to be overruled, baseball would operate, legally speaking, like 30 different sandwich shops or something.

Indeed, the newer sports leagues — MLS is an example — recognized this when they formed and actually set up the league as a single legal entity so they can have the kind of control MLB has, but without the possibility of a judge yanking it away someday.

2. aceshigh11 - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Bud Selig’s problem according to Michele Bachmann:

3. frankvzappa - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

“Twist a pig’s ear, watch him squeal…”

4. redguy12588 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Crotchety old man.

5. oldpaddy - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I have a theory that selig actually died at least 10 years ago and it’s a “weekend at Bernie’s” situation going on. That would explain the continuation of inter league play, instant replay, frank McCourt, added wild card, instant replay, and the fact that he hasn’t aged in over a decade. Now if I could just figure out who the puppet masters are…

• Old Gator - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

And why not? They saved Disney’s brain, didn’t they?

6. thomas2727 - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the City of San Jose may look into legal action on this matter.

It always seems to go back to the Anti Trust Exemption. Any mention of that being challenged would surely have MLB concerned.

Bud is just dragging this out hoping the stadium fairy comes down and builds the A’s a stadium I am great location that is not violate any current MLB Territorial rights. It’s not happening Bud.

Do what you are paid to do and be a leader. Take the bull by the horns and address the San Jose situation once and for all.

Sitting on your arse waiting is not going to resolve anything and only makes you look worse by the day.

7. smcgaels1997 - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Not only are the A’s a joke their ow era are whiners too….waaaaa I paid literally nothing for my franchise and agreed to the territorial rights when I purchased them. But now I want to move because we suck, the stadium sucks and our GM really sucks…whoa is me the poor A’s..a joke

8. AlohaMrHand - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Sacramento would be a logical destination Seeing they are about to lose the Kings.They are a good baseball city and they won’t have to compete with the Giants for fans(unless the gnats wanna cry territorial right there too which is silly.)They can renovate Raley field with the money they were going to use to build that new arena the Maloofs balked at.

• jwbiii - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Is that money still available? It is my understanding that Gov. Brown cut off regional development funds in order to pay for police, teachers, road repair, and other things more essential than stadiums.

9. yournuts - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The Giants had the same problem. They needed to move from Candlestick Park because it was an awful park to play in, and not a fan friendly baseball park. The attendance in Candlestick was awful and it had poor facilities for baseball. The A’s are in the same situation as the Giant’s were, and the Giants instead of being gracious and sharing the Bay area as they are already doing, choose to screw the A’s and the fans in the Bay Area, by being the thorn in the A’s butt. What they could never do on the field they want to do in the courtroom. For the Giant’s, It all comes down to dollars.
    Most people realize that the Giants are not a class organization. Never have been and probably never will be. It is just bad form to make the fans pay the price for this stupid feud. The A’s actually want to move further away than they are now. It is scary to go to a game in Oakland, murders, drug violence, gang related crimes are very high there.

10. scatterbrian - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Selig has reached the apex of irresponsible leadership. The A’s and their fans have been waiting for over three years for an answer, and now he’s saying that wasn’t even necessary. He’s essentially invalidated and negated his committee, and if I’m the A’s I look at this as “do whatever you have to do.”

• APBA Guy - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Brian- I think your exactly right, but why do I think Lew Wolff is not “that guy”. As a Friend of Bud, I think Lew and Fisher will sell the team before they undertake a high risk showdown with the league and the Giants. Every team owner looks at the Dodgers sale and thinks about the profit they could make selling their team. The A’s owners have made some property moves around the proposed site in SJ. Those moves stand on their own as real estate investments independent of any stadium move however. Just reading their past history gives me no indication that Wolff/Fisher are high-risk guys.

• scatterbrian - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I think I’m cautiously optimistic about Wolff mainly because we can see him sitting behind the plate at most A’s home games. My cynical side thinks that’s all for show, but considering he gets yelled at by fans and his seat faces the anti-Wolff signs in the bleachers, I’d like to think he does care.

Frankly, I’m starting to question what kind of “friendship” really exists between Wolff and Selig. Sure, they were frat brothers over 50 years ago, but that’s a long time. And it’s not like Selig has been doing Wolff any favors.

11. Mike Luna - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Two things…
    1) Bud Selig is a joke.
    2) Does anyone have Selig’s number? I’d like to ask about getting on that task force, since they apparently get paid to do absolutely nothing.

12. buffalomafia - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Joe Torre next MLB Commish!?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5186)