Apr 20, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
Two pitchers have given up five homers in a game this season. Both have been Red Sox.
On the plus side, Buchholz’s start was pretty good for someone who allowed five homers. He allowed just the five earned runs overall. He also allowed one unearned run after Dustin Pedroia lost Derek Jeter‘s game-opening popup in the sun and had it go off his glove. Jeter later scored on an Alex Rodriguez single.
The homers came off the bats of Nick Swisher, Eric Chavez (two), Rodriguez and Russell Martin. A couple of the earlier ones were wind-aided. The shots hit by A-Rod and Martin didn’t need any assistance. Rodriguez’s homer was his 631st, moving him past Ken Griffey Jr. and into fifth place on the all-time list.
Buchholz was probably the Red Sox starter least likely to give up five homers in a game. He allowed just nine all year on his way to 17 wins in 2010. Overall, he had allowed 44 in 458 career innings, an average of one every 10.4 innings.
Buchholz is now 0-2 with a 9.00 ERA this season. That his three starts have come against the Tigers, Rays and now the Yankees certainly has something to do with that.
On a happier note, Chavez’s two-homer game was his first since April 11, 2006.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)