Apr 20, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
Two pitchers have given up five homers in a game this season. Both have been Red Sox.
On the plus side, Buchholz’s start was pretty good for someone who allowed five homers. He allowed just the five earned runs overall. He also allowed one unearned run after Dustin Pedroia lost Derek Jeter‘s game-opening popup in the sun and had it go off his glove. Jeter later scored on an Alex Rodriguez single.
The homers came off the bats of Nick Swisher, Eric Chavez (two), Rodriguez and Russell Martin. A couple of the earlier ones were wind-aided. The shots hit by A-Rod and Martin didn’t need any assistance. Rodriguez’s homer was his 631st, moving him past Ken Griffey Jr. and into fifth place on the all-time list.
Buchholz was probably the Red Sox starter least likely to give up five homers in a game. He allowed just nine all year on his way to 17 wins in 2010. Overall, he had allowed 44 in 458 career innings, an average of one every 10.4 innings.
Buchholz is now 0-2 with a 9.00 ERA this season. That his three starts have come against the Tigers, Rays and now the Yankees certainly has something to do with that.
On a happier note, Chavez’s two-homer game was his first since April 11, 2006.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)