Apr 20, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
First baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Brett Jackson are off to strong starts at Triple-A, but team president Theo Epstein said yesterday that the Cubs have no immediate plans to call them up to the big leagues.
Epstein explained to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times that “it’s a little bit early to be thinking about those kind of moves, specifically with your better prospects” and “those guys are continuing their development at Triple-A and things that they’re working on they need to continue to improve.”
Epstein is right, of course, because there’s no good reason to dramatically change the team’s plans 13 games into the season. And while Rizzo is hitting .393 at Triple-A it’s worth noting that he had similarly gaudy numbers there last season before struggling mightily in the majors and the guy he’d be replacing, Bryan LaHair, is hitting .357 with a 1.113 OPS. So first base production isn’t exactly the Cubs’ problem.
Jackson is a different story in that not everyone in the Cubs’ outfield is thriving, but he’s also hitting just .254 with 20 strikeouts in 14 games at Triple-A. So while his overall production is strong with an .871 OPS, it’s not hard to see where Jackson has to make improvements before a call-up is a must.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)