Apr 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Scott Maine, a left-handed reliever with big strikeout rates in the minors, was called up to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
“Right shoulder fatigue” is the official reason given for Wood’s disabled list stint and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com notes that this is his 16th career trip to the DL, which works out to slightly more than one per season for his 14-year career.
Wood, who re-signed with the Cubs on a one-year, $3 million deal after pitching very well last season, made just four appearances before being shut down.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)