Apr 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Scott Maine, a left-handed reliever with big strikeout rates in the minors, was called up to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
“Right shoulder fatigue” is the official reason given for Wood’s disabled list stint and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com notes that this is his 16th career trip to the DL, which works out to slightly more than one per season for his 14-year career.
Wood, who re-signed with the Cubs on a one-year, $3 million deal after pitching very well last season, made just four appearances before being shut down.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)