Apr 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Scott Maine, a left-handed reliever with big strikeout rates in the minors, was called up to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
“Right shoulder fatigue” is the official reason given for Wood’s disabled list stint and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com notes that this is his 16th career trip to the DL, which works out to slightly more than one per season for his 14-year career.
Wood, who re-signed with the Cubs on a one-year, $3 million deal after pitching very well last season, made just four appearances before being shut down.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)