Apr 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Scott Maine, a left-handed reliever with big strikeout rates in the minors, was called up to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
“Right shoulder fatigue” is the official reason given for Wood’s disabled list stint and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com notes that this is his 16th career trip to the DL, which works out to slightly more than one per season for his 14-year career.
Wood, who re-signed with the Cubs on a one-year, $3 million deal after pitching very well last season, made just four appearances before being shut down.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)