Apr 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Scott Maine, a left-handed reliever with big strikeout rates in the minors, was called up to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
“Right shoulder fatigue” is the official reason given for Wood’s disabled list stint and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com notes that this is his 16th career trip to the DL, which works out to slightly more than one per season for his 14-year career.
Wood, who re-signed with the Cubs on a one-year, $3 million deal after pitching very well last season, made just four appearances before being shut down.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)