Daisuke Matsuzaka to begin rehab assignment Monday

Apr 20, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Daisuke Matsuzaka is far enough ahead of schedule in his recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery that he’s slated to begin a minor-league rehab assignment Monday at high Single-A.

Matsuzaka went under the knife last June and the typical recovery timetable is 12 months, but Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will already allow him to throw around 75 pitches Monday.

Or as manager Bobby Valentine put it: “He’s ready to start dealing with competition rather than rehabilitation.”

Once the rehab assignment begins Matsuzaka has a maximum of 30 days in the minors, which if used would equal about five total starts and leave him on track to rejoin the Red Sox at some point in May. Of course, any kind of setback could restart that timetable and there’s little reason for the Red Sox to rush him back considering how shaky he was before the injury, but so far so good.

1. Joe - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’m a Sox fan who doesn’t hate Daisuke. It’ll be interesting to see if they have a spot for him in the rotation when he’s ready to return. I’d like to see him go out on a good note.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM

If the starters keep throwing like they have been, he’ll surely have a spot open for him.

2. marshmallowsnake - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I am a Sox fan and Daisuke has turned into a farce, but, sadly, the Sox need his arm right now.

3. moose2k - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

75 pitches, hope he can makes through 3 innings

• jayquintana - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Yes! Great news! Can’t wait to see him back on the hill!
      — The Yankees

4. aceshigh11 - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I never thought I’d say it, but I can’t wait for him to come back. He can’t possibly be any worse than some of their other “starters.”

• pisano - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

aces…. I really do feel for you, but I’m afraid he could be worse.

5. henryd3rd - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Theo might want to take a flyer on him if Sox want to deal him. Of course they’ll have to eat a significant portion of his contract and throw in some quality prospects. Other then that I’m sure something can be worked out.

Signed,