Apr 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Geoff Blum was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after injuring his oblique muscle taking batting practice won’t be returning to the Diamondbacks any time soon.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Blum has been diagnosed with a torn oblique and expects to be sidelined for 4-8 weeks.
Blum, who missed 127 games with injuries last season, described feeling his oblique “pop and tear” mid-swing and at age 38 being out longer than the initial timetable wouldn’t surprise anyone. Arizona will have to make do with only Willie Bloomquist and John McDonald as light-hitting utility men for a while.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)