Apr 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Geoff Blum was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after injuring his oblique muscle taking batting practice won’t be returning to the Diamondbacks any time soon.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Blum has been diagnosed with a torn oblique and expects to be sidelined for 4-8 weeks.
Blum, who missed 127 games with injuries last season, described feeling his oblique “pop and tear” mid-swing and at age 38 being out longer than the initial timetable wouldn’t surprise anyone. Arizona will have to make do with only Willie Bloomquist and John McDonald as light-hitting utility men for a while.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32