Apr 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Geoff Blum was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after injuring his oblique muscle taking batting practice won’t be returning to the Diamondbacks any time soon.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Blum has been diagnosed with a torn oblique and expects to be sidelined for 4-8 weeks.
Blum, who missed 127 games with injuries last season, described feeling his oblique “pop and tear” mid-swing and at age 38 being out longer than the initial timetable wouldn’t surprise anyone. Arizona will have to make do with only Willie Bloomquist and John McDonald as light-hitting utility men for a while.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 0
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 29
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 20
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)