Apr 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Geoff Blum was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after injuring his oblique muscle taking batting practice won’t be returning to the Diamondbacks any time soon.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Blum has been diagnosed with a torn oblique and expects to be sidelined for 4-8 weeks.
Blum, who missed 127 games with injuries last season, described feeling his oblique “pop and tear” mid-swing and at age 38 being out longer than the initial timetable wouldn’t surprise anyone. Arizona will have to make do with only Willie Bloomquist and John McDonald as light-hitting utility men for a while.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)