Introducing “The Maddux”

Apr 20, 2012, 1:30 PM EST

Image (1) maddux1.jpg for post 4264

Reader Jason Lukehart has a blog, and on that blog he has a good post. In it he creates a new statistic. Or at least names one, and the choice of name means that I am 100% likely to use it going forward:

Somewhere along the line, and I don’t recall what year this would have been, probably late 90s, I came across a box score for a game in which Maddux had thrown a complete game shutout, and used fewer than 100 pitches to do it. I LOVED that! Ever since then, I’ve kept my eye out for such games, and somewhere along the line I began calling such a pitching line a “Maddux.” …   here are the parameters of the Maddux: a starting pitcher must pitch the entire game, said game must go at least nine innings (no rain shortened affairs), the pitcher must give up no runs, and he can throw no more than 99 total pitches.

I love it.  And Jason goes on to offer up some factoids about The Maddux. My favorite: the guy who is second in Madduxes over the past 25 years.

1. hojo20 - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I saw Maddux pitch at Wrigley in August 93. it was not a “Maddux”, only 6 IP, 2 ER, but I was happy to see my favorite pitcher face my favorite team.

There was one game in I think 97 when he pitched in Yankee Stadium vs. Gooden and threw a 86 pitch CG shutout in about two hours.

2. nekotman - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My favorite all-time pitcher and I’m an old man who has seen many. He beat you with pinpoint accuracy and brains, brains, brains. To me that makes him the greatest in my book. All others just had overpowering stuff. He didn’t. He figured out how to be great
    with his mind and confidence. And there was never any innuendo about steroids with him.Great pitcher. I like what Jason has done.

3. Jonny 5 - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Moyer has 4 of them? Wha what? This guy….

4. DJ MC - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Based on that photo, it looks like he’s going for a stat called “the Abbott”.

5. frankenderek - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Wow. What a fantastic article. Love it!

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yikes, making up a stat created in fun around a sure-fire HOF pitcher just isn’t playing fair!

“How Many Maddux’s have you gotten?”
    “Uh, none…you?”
    “None…err…not even close.”
    “Yeah….hmm….I gotta go…”

7. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Kate Upton needs to use this statistic in a commcercial of some sort. A commercial that gets lots of air time.

8. skerney - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

While not quite a “Maddux”, I was forced to watch Maddux three-hit the Giants on my birthday in 2006. He threw 71 pitches in seven innings. 71 pitches. He 40 years old and just embarrassing San Francisco’s lineup that day.

9. franklb - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The blog link may be the best baseball piece I’ve read this year. Doggie is my all-time favorite pitcher, and this is now my all-time favorite statistic. I saw Doggie’s 300th win, in SF v. the Giants (a doubly wonderful event for this AL fan). Thank you very much for providing the link.

• Lukehart80 - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I went up to Wrigley on the day Maddux was going for his 300th win. He only gave up 2 earned runs over 6 innings, but the Cubs didn’t score many runs til he was already out of the game. Would have been sweet to see that milestone.

10. deathmonkey41 - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

So, for the team that gets shut down and shut down for an entire game on 99 pitches, are they called “The Muelens”?

11. Lukehart80 - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for the positive comments, I’m glad people are enjoying it.

12. philliesblow - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Any game a pitcher throws 9 innings with at least 125 pitches, 10 or more in the 9th at +100 MPH, will be a Verlander.

• hojo20 - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Agree, and their last pitch must be at least 98-100.

• brewcitybummer - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:13 AM

And any time a pitcher throws 100 pitches in 4 innings that pitcher will be called a Milwaukee Brewer.

13. randomdigits - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

When I see a pitch 3 inches off the outside part of the plate called a strike I call it a “Maddox”.

• martywinn - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Maybe a Glavin instead?

14. thomas2727 - Apr 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I love the concept of the “Maddux”

How about the “Jonathan Sanchez” which would be throwing more than 100 pitches while pitching less than 5 innings?

15. stercuilus65 - Apr 21, 2012 at 4:00 AM

How about a “Zito” for a pitcher getting over $500,000 a start and allows 5 or more earned runs.

16. warpd - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Phillip Humbar. Perfect Maddux. Nice.

• warpd - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Humber. Sorry, drunk.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4657)
  2. M. Kemp (3704)
  3. M. Cabrera (2910)
  4. J. Kang (2700)
  5. M. Morse (2601)
  1. J. Upton (2579)
  2. A. Rios (2250)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2237)
  4. C. Headley (2189)