Jose Canseco signs with the Worcester Tornadoes

Apr 20, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT

Jose Canseco AP

Some dreams never die. And for as crazy as Jose Canseco is, at least give him credit for not quitting:

The Worcester Tornadoes today signed former Major League Outfielder & Designated Hitter Jose Canseco to a one season contract. The native Cuban spent parts of 17 seasons in the majors, mashing 462 homeruns … Team owner, Todd Breighner, says “We’re very optimistic Jose will be a very solid ball player for the Tornadoes as our goal is to continue to bring high-level baseball to Worcester.

Worcester is part of the independent Can-Am league — which used to sorta be the Northeast League — which is probably the equivalent of A-ball.

I predict Canseco will hit several home runs, post a pretty low average and then part ways with the team after, oh, 30 games or so for reasons that are not at all clear to anyone other than Jose Canseco.

1. joshfrancis50 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Sorry haters…

2. Bill - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

He’s got to play for a month or two so that people will think he was born here and then he can be president, which is what he assumes that Obama guy did.

• Bill - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

(https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/statuses/191991522223337473)

3. nategearhart - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I totally forgot that Jose was a Red Sox for a couple of seasons in the mid-90′s. Which means he’ll be at Fenway today. Wearing a Red Sox jersey.
    Hell yes.

• garylanglais - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I’m not sure who will be more excited: Red Sox fans seeing Jose Canseco or Jose Canseco being cheered by someone other than the guy in the mirror?

Jose Canseco ‏ @JoseCanseco

Ok haters and army of immortals. Cats out of the bag. I’m here for the red sox 100th anniversary. Glad to be back and at fenway

Jose Canseco ‏ @JoseCanseco

I hope a riot doesn’t start at fenway when they announce me today.

4. rickset - Apr 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Bobby Valentine wants to sign him because his heart is in the game.

5. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Awesome, Fitton field is right down the street from me and my step mom taught Jose and Ozzie’s kids back when I lived in Miami

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Welcome to Wista! I grew up in the Woo…then moved to PHX six years ago. I miss the Woo a bit… Ever been to the Armby Abbey or the Dive Bar? Oh, and pay attention on 290 east when the T’s are playing…Canseco might hit your car.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Never been, I try to make it a habit of avoiding the woo, but I recently accepted a job there…sooooo…and yeah…290 isn’t my favorite road and there has been a gigantic Ron Paul ad on one of the buildings overlooking the road which makes me think maybe 122 to 146 may be the way to go…either way..
        I think I’ll make the trip and see if I can chat up Jose a bit

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Understandable. I am actually looking to move back that way. Searching for IT jobs. I will be back there in a year or two. Not sure I want to live in Worcester, but that area is where I will end up.

Funny point about the Ron Paul add. I bet the person that posted it was attacked.

6. hushbrother - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

No offense, but I find these periodic updates about Jose Canseco to be less interesting than just about anything.

7. zakharovsa - Apr 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

bats

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3981)