Apr 20, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Some dreams never die. And for as crazy as Jose Canseco is, at least give him credit for not quitting:
The Worcester Tornadoes today signed former Major League Outfielder & Designated Hitter Jose Canseco to a one season contract. The native Cuban spent parts of 17 seasons in the majors, mashing 462 homeruns … Team owner, Todd Breighner, says “We’re very optimistic Jose will be a very solid ball player for the Tornadoes as our goal is to continue to bring high-level baseball to Worcester.
Worcester is part of the independent Can-Am league — which used to sorta be the Northeast League — which is probably the equivalent of A-ball.
I predict Canseco will hit several home runs, post a pretty low average and then part ways with the team after, oh, 30 games or so for reasons that are not at all clear to anyone other than Jose Canseco.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)