Apr 20, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Trumbo will start in left field tonight against the Orioles. This is actually his first major league start in left field, though he played two innings there last season. He played 21 innings in right field last year and made one start there as a September call-up in 2010.
The original plan was for Trumbo to get semi-regular playing time at third base, but he has made three errors in three starts and hasn’t played there in a week. Because of the log jam between the first base, DH and corner outfield spots, the 26-year-old has been limited to just 23 plate appearances this season, despite batting .368/.478/.684 with two homers and four RBI.
With Trumbo in left field tonight, Vernon Wells will slide over to center field and Peter Bourjos will sit. Bourjos is struggling at the plate right now, so maybe it’s not the worst thing for him to take a breather. It’s also not a bad idea to see what Trumbo can do in the outfield. But hopefully this Wells over Bourjos business doesn’t become a regular occurrence.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)