Apr 20, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Trumbo will start in left field tonight against the Orioles. This is actually his first major league start in left field, though he played two innings there last season. He played 21 innings in right field last year and made one start there as a September call-up in 2010.
The original plan was for Trumbo to get semi-regular playing time at third base, but he has made three errors in three starts and hasn’t played there in a week. Because of the log jam between the first base, DH and corner outfield spots, the 26-year-old has been limited to just 23 plate appearances this season, despite batting .368/.478/.684 with two homers and four RBI.
With Trumbo in left field tonight, Vernon Wells will slide over to center field and Peter Bourjos will sit. Bourjos is struggling at the plate right now, so maybe it’s not the worst thing for him to take a breather. It’s also not a bad idea to see what Trumbo can do in the outfield. But hopefully this Wells over Bourjos business doesn’t become a regular occurrence.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)