Photos of the Day: The Highlanders vs. the Red Sox

Apr 20, 2012, 5:17 PM EST

Throwback uniforms are always kinda cool. But I have to admit: the ones the Yankees and the Red Sox are sporting for today’s game are spiffier than most.  The Red Sox:

source: Reuters

And The Highlanders:

source: AP

Try to tell me those guys don’t look good.

1. bloodysock - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

The game is certainly uglier than the throwbacks (at least for the Red Sox).

2. zackd2 - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Can I get pictures of Bobby V after HRs #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5?

3. gloccamorra - Apr 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Did they do a fashion show, modeling the old uniforms? If they did, I didn’t see it, and if they didn’t, they should have. Didn’t the Yankees introduce pinstripes the same year? Where are they?

• jimbo1949 - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yankee pin stripes are home only

4. natstowngreg - Apr 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Much as I detest both teams, I like their classic uniforms. Same goes for the Tigers, Cards, and Dodgers (except I don’t detest them).

5. Brian Murphy - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

No logos on the cap of a baseball uniform? Usually, that means some TV or movie exec couldn’t get MLB’s consent to use its trademarks. But no logos on the caps of an actual MLB team? I freaking love it. No names, no numbers … I guess it’s just the novelty of really old things, but those things were awesome.

• bigharold - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Too bad the RS hats hand no logos. Any kind of logo would’ve generated 100K hat sales. How are they going ot sell a bunch of white hats?

6. drewzducks - Apr 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

They were gonna put names and numbers on the Sox unis until they got a request by a mystery fan named J. Lackey reminding them that the original unis were indistinguishable.

7. explodet - Apr 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

White hats, blech.

8. dfletc2 - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Yankee fan here, but those Red Sox throwbacks were phenomenal… Gotta love the all white, logo-less hats

9. 1historian - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Those unis ARE cool and I’ll bet they sell like hotcakes.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5179)