Apr 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Upton, who suffered the injury in a March 14 collision with Desmond Jennings, went just 3-for-21 (.143) during a seven game minor-league rehab assignment.
Jennings has filled in for Upton as the everyday center fielder, but now he’ll shift back to left field and Matt Joyce will move to right field with Ben Zobrist likely seeing more time as a second baseman.
Stephen Vogt, a 27-year-old career minor leaguer who went 0-for-13 in his first taste of the majors, was optioned back to the minors to make room for Upton.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)