Apr 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Upton, who suffered the injury in a March 14 collision with Desmond Jennings, went just 3-for-21 (.143) during a seven game minor-league rehab assignment.
Jennings has filled in for Upton as the everyday center fielder, but now he’ll shift back to left field and Matt Joyce will move to right field with Ben Zobrist likely seeing more time as a second baseman.
Stephen Vogt, a 27-year-old career minor leaguer who went 0-for-13 in his first taste of the majors, was optioned back to the minors to make room for Upton.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)