Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster underwent an MRI exam on his sore quadriceps muscle today and is considered questionable to make his next scheduled start Sunday.
Bradford Doolittle of MLB.com reports that the Cubs had Randy Wells travel from Iowa to Chicago to be on hand in case a fill-in starter is needed. Wells, who spent the past three seasons as a regular member of the Cubs’ rotation, was surprisingly demoted to Triple-A at the end of spring training.
He hasn’t gotten any run support or bullpen help, so you wouldn’t know it by his 0-1 record, but Dempster has pitched very well through three starts with a 1.33 ERA and 23/8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)