Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster underwent an MRI exam on his sore quadriceps muscle today and is considered questionable to make his next scheduled start Sunday.
Bradford Doolittle of MLB.com reports that the Cubs had Randy Wells travel from Iowa to Chicago to be on hand in case a fill-in starter is needed. Wells, who spent the past three seasons as a regular member of the Cubs’ rotation, was surprisingly demoted to Triple-A at the end of spring training.
He hasn’t gotten any run support or bullpen help, so you wouldn’t know it by his 0-1 record, but Dempster has pitched very well through three starts with a 1.33 ERA and 23/8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 0
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)