Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Ryan Dempster underwent an MRI exam on his sore quadriceps muscle today and is considered questionable to make his next scheduled start Sunday.
Bradford Doolittle of MLB.com reports that the Cubs had Randy Wells travel from Iowa to Chicago to be on hand in case a fill-in starter is needed. Wells, who spent the past three seasons as a regular member of the Cubs’ rotation, was surprisingly demoted to Triple-A at the end of spring training.
He hasn’t gotten any run support or bullpen help, so you wouldn’t know it by his 0-1 record, but Dempster has pitched very well through three starts with a 1.33 ERA and 23/8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)