Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Ryan Dempster underwent an MRI exam on his sore quadriceps muscle today and is considered questionable to make his next scheduled start Sunday.
Bradford Doolittle of MLB.com reports that the Cubs had Randy Wells travel from Iowa to Chicago to be on hand in case a fill-in starter is needed. Wells, who spent the past three seasons as a regular member of the Cubs’ rotation, was surprisingly demoted to Triple-A at the end of spring training.
He hasn’t gotten any run support or bullpen help, so you wouldn’t know it by his 0-1 record, but Dempster has pitched very well through three starts with a 1.33 ERA and 23/8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)