Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Dempster underwent an MRI exam on his sore quadriceps muscle today and is considered questionable to make his next scheduled start Sunday.
Bradford Doolittle of MLB.com reports that the Cubs had Randy Wells travel from Iowa to Chicago to be on hand in case a fill-in starter is needed. Wells, who spent the past three seasons as a regular member of the Cubs’ rotation, was surprisingly demoted to Triple-A at the end of spring training.
He hasn’t gotten any run support or bullpen help, so you wouldn’t know it by his 0-1 record, but Dempster has pitched very well through three starts with a 1.33 ERA and 23/8 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)