Apr 20, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The police report, which was leaked in January, said that Castro allegedly took a woman to his apartment after a night of drinking at a club. The woman blacked out and when she awoke, Castro was assaulting her.
Castro was questioned by police when he was in town for the annual Cubs Convention in January, but the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said today that they declined to pursue charges after “insufficient evidence was found.”
“The State’s Attorney’s office in conjunction with the Chicago Police Department conducted a comprehensive review and investigation and as a result found insufficient evidence to bring forth criminal charges,” state’s attorney spokeswoman Sally Daly said.
Castro’s agent, Paul Kinzer, told the Sun-Times that he was “confident” no charges would ultimately be filed and that they are “just happy they got it right.”
Castro, 22, went 1-for-4 with a run scored in a loss to the Reds this afternoon and is batting .352 (19-for-54) with three doubles, seven RBI, seven stolen bases and a .787 OPS over his first 14 games this season.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)