A minor leaguer is about to get hit over the head with MLB’s new social media policy

Apr 21, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT

Twitter logo

UPDATE: Oops. Seth Stohs informs me that Williams was released by the Twins before the season began. So I guess he can get beat over the head if and when some other team signs him.

11:03 PM: Look, I may want to know “why are there so many gay n***** these days,” and YOU may want to know “why are there so many gay n***** these days,” but that’s OK, because we’re not ballplayers subject to baseball’s social media policy.

Twins prospect Reggie Williams is subject to it, however, so if he really wants to know “why are there so many gay n***** these days,” he probably shouldn’t have spent all evening tweeting it. Or at least he should have done so at a time when no one from Deadspin was watching, because they were watching and they busted him:

But don’t worry. Realizing that that wasn’t too polite, he quickly corrected himself:

Hmm, that’s not gonna go over too much better, is it?  And if you read his timeline, you see that he hasn’t done much to dig himself out of that hole as the evening has worn on.

So, how does this end? Large fine and series of apologies? He’s only hitting .234/.294/.325 in A-ball at age 22, so maybe a release is more in order.  Either way, I don’t think this one is gonna go away with a couple of quickly deleted tweets.

1. xpensivewinos - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hey Craig –

Gotta love the stupid, eh? Schmucks like this are job security for you……

2. hojo20 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Maybe he’s a very curious person and was too lazy to search the web himself for the answer.

• frankvzappa - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM

If he did take the initiative and search the web for himself, he would find out that the gay agenda is being pushed by the media for the elite powers that be in an effort to control the population explosion. It is called eugenics, and it is clearly practiced by people with nazi roots who are influential today. At least, that is what some crazy tin-foil hat wearing paranoid conspiracy theorists would have you believe.

3. imaginesuperbowlwin - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Are you sure he’s not a football player?

4. Joe - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

For the record, the Twins are set to release an “It Gets Better” video next month. The organization has its priorities right, even if not all the players (or ushers) got the memo.

• lostsok - Apr 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Good for the Twins. We call ourselves a Christian nation, and that should begin with respect for others.

• Joe - Apr 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I don’t call us a Christian nation–we’re a nation with freedom of religion, including freedom from religion.

• hansob - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Unfortunately for the ACTUAL Minnesota Twins, it doesn’t.

5. jimbo1949 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Whoops. Where’s Emily Litella when you need her.

6. Joe - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Deadspin really dropped the ball on this. The writer’s only source that this guy was a Twins prospect was the player’s own twitter bio. Googling revealed stats from last year but no roster information for this year. Lazy journalism from a site that normally does good work.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Very dumb thing to write but Does Deadspin have its “reporters” stalking the twitter accounts of low level minor leaguers waiting for them to write something stupid? They either have too many reporters or the ones they have need to find something more worthwhile to spend their time on. Go wipe down the microwave in the breakroom, I’m sure its got some Hot Pocket remnants melted to it.

• DJ MC - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I suppose you think that every single thing reported on HBT is discovered directly by one of the writers?

Others saw the tweet and tipped off Deadspin.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Ok then, why is anyone who’s not a personal friend following a guy who bats .230 in A ball?

• DJ MC - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Are you asking why obsessive baseball fans might do something obsessive relating to baseball?

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

It was a post that went up at 10pm on a Saturday night.

8. dawgpoundmember - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I knew this was a Craig post just from the headline….I love reading his writings

9. dawgpoundmember - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Oh and even it was stupid to even say that out loud I’m glad to actually see someone say what’s really on their mind than say what society/management wants them to say

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, racism, sexism, and gay bashing are “stupid to say out loud” but boy, what a real all-American hero this guy happens to be because he did so. He’s like a total breath of fresh air, if only “fresh air” equates a Rush Limbaugh mouth fart.

But I only say this because society and management want me to say this. Otherwise, I’m a scared little prick.

Team America. Fuck yeah.

• fearlessleader - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, dawgpoundmember, because what we really need in this society is a little more unabashed bigotry, right?

Decent people aren’t open and accepting because it’s PC to be so. Decent people are open and accepting because they’re decent people.

10. smackingfools - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

So what’s the answer?

11. hushbrother - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

My college roommate was a gay “n*****” and he was a great guy.

12. dawgpoundmember - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I never said I agree with his words, I just like that he didn’t “retract his statement.”

After realizing that I offended you two, I now know it was wrong and I never should have said it. I hope to overcome my wrong doings and make amends with anybody I have harmed.

Wait, never mind.I don’t care what you think of me, that’s why I said it.

• fearlessleader - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Oh, sweetie, you’re not nearly interesting enough to offend me.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2794)