Apr 21, 2012, 1:43 PM EST
Bad news for the Bombers.
The hope was that Pineda would begin an official minor league rehab assignment if things went well today, but any such plans have been put on hold. The 23-year-old right-hander underwent an MRI at the end of March which showed only tendinitis and no structural damage, but he’ll now be sent back to a doctor to see if anything is more seriously wrong.
It’s way too soon to call the Montero-for-Pineda deal a bust for the Yankees — we’ll need years to make a proper judgment on this one — but it’s a good thing they added Andy Pettitte as an insurance policy for their starting rotation. It sure doesn’t sound like Pineda will be a factor anytime soon.
UPDATE: Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that Pineda will return to New York on Monday to be examined by team physician Dr. Chris Ahmad. He’s expected to undergo a dye-contrast MRI to see if they missed anything in the initial exam last month.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)