Apr 21, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Hudson, 34, is batting .156/.191/.200 over his first 46 plate appearances this season. He seems to be losing his job to utility infielder Andy Parrino, who started last night against the Phillies and two out of the three games against the Rockies earlier this week.
Miller speculates that a possible release could coincide with the pending return of Logan Forsythe, who is scheduled to head to extended spring training this weekend after undergoing surgery in March to have the sesamoid bone removed from his left foot.
Releasing Hudson would be a major statement for the thrifty Padres, who have the lowest payroll in the majors at $55.6 million. Hudson is owed $5.5 million this year and a $2 million buyout on his $8 million option for next season. Still, he signed his two-year, $11.5 million deal under former GM Jed Hoyer and has batted just .237/.316/.336 with a .652 OPS over 131 games with San Diego.
The Padres lost their fourth straight game last night and now sit at a major-league worst 3-12 on the young season, so with Hudson on the steady decline and his trade value nil, it might be worth it to bite the bullet while seeing what younger players like Parrino and Forsythe can do.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)