Philip Humber finishes off perfect game against Mariners

Apr 21, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT

humber getty Getty Images

White Sox starter Philip Humber is having his way with the light-hitting Mariners lineup on Saturday in Seattle and currently stands perfect through seven innings of work.

Humber has only thrown 70 pitches, so he should be able to go the distance if everything continues to roll his way.

The 29-year-old right-hander entered the afternoon outing with a 4.06 career ERA. He has fanned six M’s hitters. We’ll provide updates from here on out.

***************

UPDATE, 6:07 PM: Humber struck out Justin Smoak to open the bottom of the eighth inning, got Kyle Seager to fly out to left field and induced a grounder to second base out of Gordon Beckham. He’s now three outs away from history and has hurled just 80 pitches.

***************

UPDATE, 6:23 PM: Humber fell behind Michael Saunders 3-0 but rallied back to strike him out to open the bottom of the ninth. He then got pinch-hitter John Jaso to fly out to right field.

***************

UPDATE, 6:25 PM: Humber struck out Brendan Ryan to finish off the 19th perfect game in MLB history.

1. astrosfan75956 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Too bad Fox has the rights to day baseball and despite buying the extra innings package not able to watch it.

2. wlschneider09 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Perfect through 8 with only 79 pitches. On his way to a perfect Maddux.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Of course, the update makes me completely redundant…

• natstowngreg - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Yes, Perfect Maddux. I was trying to think the modifier for Humber’s start (96 pitches). Perfect Maddux is, well, perfect.

3. randygnyc - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Of course this game is blacked out on MLB.tv. Fox just said it will cut away to show the 9th, though. I hope he gets it.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I cant believe there is a guy throwing a perfect game and Fox only shows the 9th inning. They arent even showing it on the full screen!

• royalsfaninfargo - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Congrats to Humber!

5. georgia - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Guys, I “watched” Humber on MLB Gameday, and even that was pretty exciting.

6. cur68 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Jonny5 just picked up roughly a squillion fantasy league points off of Humber with this. Since he and I are head to head this week, he is officially my daddy for the time being.

Congratulations Phillip Humber. You made history today. I just took the worst fantasy league beating of my life, but don’t let that diminish the joy you should feel right now. Way to go, man.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I’ll do you one better, I own him in one league and had him safely stashed on the bench. :(

• natstowngreg - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I’ll see your benching and raise you with having Humber on a team last season, and not protecting him.

• royalsfaninfargo - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hey Cur, you going to watch the Jays/Royals tonight?

• cur68 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Yep, while trying to write a 300 word abstract for a conference. I suspect I’m not gonna get much done if things are as exciting as they were yesterday.

• royalsfaninfargo - Apr 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Good game so far my Canadian friend. Very up and down for both teams.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Agree, bro. Real good game. Kaufman is pretty: as eye catching a stadium as any I’ve eve seen. I’m glad to be going there in a bit. Even better was seeing how nicely E5 and Rasmus are comin’ on. Hell, even Arencebia has some life in his bat. It’d probably be a different story if the Royals had Sally Perez backstopping things and Soria, so I’m gonna be happy with a split if that’s how things work out. Between Escobar, Hosmer, Moustakis, and the bullpen, The Royals looked impressive: they just need some luck now and they’ll be good.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Congrats to Humber!

8. salvomania - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Gee, I don’t think Ryan swung at that ball four….

• fearlessleader - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

So the cosmos is even after Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga….?

No matter; what a fabulous performance by Humber, and what fun to get to watch the tail end of it on a small portion of my TV screen next to the much larger Sox/Yankees coverage!

• wlschneider09 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It was sure close. I note that they were unwilling to show the swing from the 1st baseline camera.

• jkaflagg - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, I kept waiting for that shot as well…..assume that since it was a Fox telecast, it was available….

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hate to cast aspersions on a brilliant performance by Humber, but: Yeah, I just watched it a few times, it is really hard to call that anything but ball 4. Ball in the dirt, misses the catcher, and the bat never even approaches a full swing. Still a great accomplishment.

• ezthinking - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Jeezus if he made contact he would have had a double.You could see the end of the bat from the left-center camera angle. Don’t be a hater.

9. jayscarpa - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

A perfect-maddux

10. xsherr - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Congrats!!

11. thomas2727 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

This feels like the opposite of the Armando Galarraga/Jim Joyce “Imperfect Game”

12. natstowngreg - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

While Fox was showing Humber’s 9th, the Red Sox were in the process of blowing a 9-0 lead. Now 9-8.

13. icanspeel - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Prior to today I never heard of Philip Humber, but now I will probably never forget his name. Amazing he is only the 21st pitcher to throw a perfect game.

14. jlovenotjlo - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Phillip Humber, the former first rounder whose always had the tools and talent. He’s battled chronic injury with some underachievement. Congratulations Phil, my first 27 drinks are for you tonight.

15. rob0527 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Congrats. He is another ex met who has pitched a no hitter or perfect game, while the met franchise has yet to register one.
    Go YANKEES

• gmsingh - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

In fact, 3 for the White Sox out of 21 in history is pretty impressive.

16. thomas2727 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

A.J. Pierzynski was just missed becoming a modern day Mickey Owen.

17. kcredneck - Apr 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM

salvomania good eye, check swing, ball four, not a perfect game,

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3048)