Apr 21, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett will make his Pirates’ debut a bit earlier than originally expected.
Kevin Correia was scratched from tonight’s start due to discomfort in his left side, so the Pirates have activated Burnett and will have him make the start instead. Burnett, who underwent surgery in early March to repair an orbital fracture of his right eye, was originally scheduled to make a rehab start with Double-A Altoona tonight.
The important part is that Burnett is back to full health, but he was knocked around for 11 runs on 14 hits in 10 1/3 innings (9.58 ERA) over three rehab outings with High-A Bradenton and Triple-A Indianapolis. He’ll have a tough first test tonight, facing a Cardinals’ team which is third in the majors with 77 runs scored.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 12
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 214
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (214)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)