Apr 21, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett will make his Pirates’ debut a bit earlier than originally expected.
Kevin Correia was scratched from tonight’s start due to discomfort in his left side, so the Pirates have activated Burnett and will have him make the start instead. Burnett, who underwent surgery in early March to repair an orbital fracture of his right eye, was originally scheduled to make a rehab start with Double-A Altoona tonight.
The important part is that Burnett is back to full health, but he was knocked around for 11 runs on 14 hits in 10 1/3 innings (9.58 ERA) over three rehab outings with High-A Bradenton and Triple-A Indianapolis. He’ll have a tough first test tonight, facing a Cardinals’ team which is third in the majors with 77 runs scored.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 53
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)