Apr 21, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett will make his Pirates’ debut a bit earlier than originally expected.
Kevin Correia was scratched from tonight’s start due to discomfort in his left side, so the Pirates have activated Burnett and will have him make the start instead. Burnett, who underwent surgery in early March to repair an orbital fracture of his right eye, was originally scheduled to make a rehab start with Double-A Altoona tonight.
The important part is that Burnett is back to full health, but he was knocked around for 11 runs on 14 hits in 10 1/3 innings (9.58 ERA) over three rehab outings with High-A Bradenton and Triple-A Indianapolis. He’ll have a tough first test tonight, facing a Cardinals’ team which is third in the majors with 77 runs scored.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (79)