Postgame drama in Boston: Bobby V part of closed-door meeting, players refuse to talk

Apr 21, 2012, 10:28 PM EDT

bobby v reuters Getty Images

The home clubhouse at Fenway Park was not the most relaxing of places Saturday evening after the Red Sox blew a 9-0 lead to the Yankees in an eventual 15-9 loss, falling to 4-10 on the year.

“I think we’ve hit bottom,” first-year Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said in his postgame chat. “That’s what I told them after the game. You have to sometimes hit bottom. If this isn’t bottom, then we’ll find some new ends to the earth or something.”

And then came these tweets from beat writers Evan Drellich (of MLB.com), Gordon Edes (of ESPN Boston) and Sean McAdam (of CSNNewEngland.com’s RedSoxTalk):

Valentine will survive Saturday’s collapse, but the Red Sox are in the midst of a five-game losing streak and are struggling in quite a few crucial areas. It’s safe to wonder what will happen if things get any worse.

1. drewzducks - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Way to exhibit leadership laser show. Cowboy up? Horses ass!

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It’s safe to wonder what will happen if things get any worse.

Perhaps they could try NOT trading pitchers for third tier outfielders. It seems if anything, they should be looking to add a bit of pitching these days.

• biasedhomer - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

mediocre relief pitcher for a 4th OFer

Trading Michael Bowden is not the reason the Red Sox are not winning

3. deathmonkey41 - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Wonder what’s being said? I can’t imagine Cherington is a happy camper at this point…or maybe he is because they overruled him to get Valentine?

• damnyankee13 - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Cherington is a mole, put in place by Cashman
      lol

4. randygnyc - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I can’t wait to see. Lmao……

5. georgia - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Wouldn’t bringing Tito back be the best thing ever? Well, maybe the most ironic, especially if the team just started winning and made it to the postseason.

• paperlions - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

There is nothing that would convince Tito to ever work for the current ownership again.

• georgia - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You probably couldn’t be any more right.

• pisano - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Tito has too much dignity and class to lower himself to this group of morons. Someone will offer Tito a good managing job soon. Good baseball men like Tito will always be in demand.

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM

#FIRELUCCHINO

6. dawglb - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I wonder what Curt Schilling thinks about this. Oh wait, I am sure we will find out soon enough.

• normcash - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

That dingbat probably thinks it’s all Obama’s fault….

• miketreedy - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

No, the Red Sox sucking has nothing to do with Obama. Just the 8+ unemployment, soaring debt and constant political pandering we have to hear from him day in and day out. Now who’s the dingbat for first bring up politics on a baseball blog?

7. bosoxsux - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Uh, please! Valentine wasn’t the one pitching, fielding or committing errors from the 7th inning on. That was the work of the overpaid, over-hyped players on the team screwing up and now they and the media are trying to blame Bobby. Bobby was right. I’ve been watching Youk since he joined Boston and he looked discombobulated, detached, confused and downright “B” league than at any other time I’ve seen him. Now everyone wants to do a Grady Little on Valentine and run him out of town. Just shut up and let the season run its course. Sheesh! This is Boston drama redux every freakin’ year. Then they and the fans say a bunch of hail Marys and within two weeks all is right with the world. Just play ball! Go Yankees!

• Glenn - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Bobby V has made quite a few bad in-game decisions so far. Otherwise I would agree with you. If you want to run your mouth, you better produce – or at least make sensible decisions. The Bard game is example number one. Saying Youk isn’t trying after a three game winning streak and he played well is another dumb thing.

8. jimbo1949 - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Headline on NYT game story:
    Two Late Touchdowns Lift Yankees in Boston

• bigharold - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

That’s pretty funny!

9. randygnyc - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Tito has got the game tomorrow night. Good times. Good times.

• drewzducks - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM

So good, so good, so good…seriously those F-ups at Fenway still played that song after giving 7 runs in back to back innings.

10. illogic87 - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

8% into the season…. relax people!!

• hittfamily - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

60% of Valentine’s career in Boston.

• bigleagues - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM

ALL-TIME Great Comment Comeback!

11. mfbuckley - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I went short on the “when will he be fired” pool. Like before July 1. This is what happens when ownership abandons what made them successful and overrules the professionals they hired to run the team. Time for ownership to go back and take another lesson from the Krafts. And make their clown of a president (Lucchino) Minister Without Portfolio!

• bosoxsux - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, right! Like that’s going to solve anything. Crawford is injured…and overrated. The bull pen wouldn’t qualify for most AAA ball clubs. Starting pitching is sub-par at best and the problem is Bobby’s fault? What happened at the end of last year when the team folded like a cheap tent down the stretch with the media-annointed wunderkind Theo at the helm and Bobby V. nowhere on the radar? Let me guess that was Valentine’s fault too. No, how about Little? Let’s blame him too. Bottom line is that Boston will come back from the edge soon enough and with their best lineup will eventually resume their “middle-of-the-pack” status before too long. Fans like you however…mmmm, not so sure about the ledge thing without a round of therapy!

• bozosforall - Apr 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Lesson from the Krafts? Like how to cheat and then suck up to the Commish to get leniency.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Ummm, you’re talking about a commish that allowed a man, who was on the Board of Directors of the Red Sox, to lead the steroid investigation. I think they’re cozy enough with the man on top.

• bozosforall - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Thanks for confirming how crooked the New England sports teams currently are.

12. yankeesgameday - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Wait, who wanted mike aviles? Bobby v or the gm?

13. xpensivewinos - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Granted the overall talent level is sub-standard (especially with the second highest payroll in baseball), but you can just tell the vibe isn’t right. This was either going to work right off the bat with a new personality/leader or it was going to blow up in their face. The personalities and dynamic of that place is a mess. It took a week for the “leader” of the team to call the new manager out publicly saying “we don’t do things that way around here.” Valentine’s power has already been usurped. He looks clueless and appears to a be a lame duck after two weeks on the job.

Why is it that only Red Sox ownership were the only ones who couldn’t see this was not the right fit? Now egos really get in the way and this lingers for much longer than it should.

Valentine should fake a heart attack like Fred Sanford and use that as an excuse to walk away…….

14. xpensivewinos - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

……and if the Red Sox had won just one of their games in the first 8% of last season, they would have gone to the playoffs.

Anyone who thinks a particular game over the course of the season is not important, is crazy…………..and certainly in the AL East.

15. hojo20 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yeah this on isn’t on Bobby V. The bullpen sucked. After Doubront left it took six pitchers to record six outs.

• georgia - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

If Tony La Russa was the manager of the BoSox right now, taking six pitchers for six outs would have happened all the time….except it would work more often than not.

16. gotampabay52 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

F the red sox period this is best for baseball keep losing

17. bigharold - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

The RS BP was weak last year, .. then they let the closer walk, ..they allowed the set up man go to the rotation and made their best long relief guy the closer. So why is it surprising that the Yankees came back???

This profoundly horrible loss is on the front office for saddling the team with an absolutely TERRIBLE BP.

Everybody in the Nation needs to take a deep breath and understand the limitations Valentine is dealing with. Nothing good will come from throwing Valentine overboard, .. unless the Nation thinks 5th place is good.

I can’t believe I’m such a life long Yankee fan and actually defending Valentine, .. I think I just heard hell freeze over. Excuse me now, .. it’s time to start drinking heavy.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Hey, I see what you’re doing here.

18. xpensivewinos - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Certain things may not be on Bobby, BUT the things he was brought in to do have not happened and they needed to happen immediately.

He obviously has earned ZERO respect from the players so his leadership is non-existent and he’s supposed to be some type of brilliant baseball tactician, right. I say he sucks……..and he’s making mistakes little league managers would have parents screaming at them about.

The talent level is not on him………the rest of it is.

And he’s wrong. They haven’t hit bottom yet……………gonna get really, really ugly here quick.

19. deathmonkey41 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

You can’t have Aceves as your closer- the dude is a headcase. He doesn’t have the makeup of a closer at all.

20. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Its getting late early up there in New England.

21. kingjoe1 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

This situation reminds. Me of the Barry melrose situation. I bet valentine is gone by may 15. In spite of f act that sox were horrible last April as well

22. fellspointbird - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Red Sox! Please trade for Mark Reynolds & Kevin Gregg! Reynolds would replace the problem child Youk at 3rd, and Gregg would solidify your closer role!!!

23. aceshigh11 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Am I the only one who feels bad for Valentine?

Now…don’t get me wrong. He is arrogant, full of bravado and has a transparently phony public persona…but the guy DID NOT sign on for this train wreck.

The team he was been handed has been FUBAR since last September. I don’t think ANY manager could reassemble this team, as currently constructed, into a functional, cohesive unit with a positive, winning mentality.

I realize Bobby isn’t the most sympathetic figure, but man…part of me goes, “Does he EVER need a hug.”

And all of the people pining for Francona are misguided. Yes, I love Tito and miss him, but let’s face it: his relationship with the team had run its course. He was no longer effective.

I don’t know what the solution is aside from cutting loose a LOT of overpaid clubhouse cancers, eating their contracts, and spending several years rebuilding…and we KNOW the Red Sox aren’t going to do that.

• georgia - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I can’t stand Valentine, but I like what you’re saying. The Red Sox are just a complete mess in nearly every facet of the game right now.

Although I do like that Pedroia and Ortiz are doing just fine.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM

you and bobby and nothing but tools, you both need to get over each other.The redsuks are getting what they deserve

• aceshigh11 - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Once again: you go out of your way to post a hateful, negative response to a story about the Red Sox rather than celebrate an impressive come-from-behind victory by the Yankees.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“Your entire life seems to be devoted to negativity, rage and hatred. I suppose I COULD say I pity you, but I’d be lying.”

I feel that way about Sandra Bullock when I watch her movies.

• bozosforall - Apr 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

@aceshigh…entire life devoted to negativity, rage and hatred? You mean like Red Sox fans pre-2004? Pot calling the kettle black.

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I can say without equivocation that Josh Beckett is the single most polarizing figure in that clubhouse. Am I in there? No. But I know some things about Beckett. He’s a borderline nut job. Ironically narcissistic.

Since his minor league days Youkilis has been known as a major league hard-on. No doubt that chip on his shoulder has served him well through most of his career. However, IF he is indeed the mole, then how and why the Red Sox did or didn’t do everything they could to move him and promote Middlebrooks (who is destroying International League pitching thus far to the point that scouts are raving that he has fixed the few aspects of his offensive game that had concerned them) is beyond my comprehension.

Then again maybe Youk wasn’t the ‘mole’ maybe that guy was traded already (Scutaro). None of us know for sure.

What we do know for sure is this team needs an enema.

24. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I enjoy criticising Bobby V because I just don’t think he’s that great of a manager. That being said and dumb in game decisions aside, it appears the players have never tried to buy into what he’s selling them. I know sports aren’t like a normal job but he is the new boss in town and the players should at least show some respect for his job title even if he hasn’t quite earned it personally. If the players keep up the tug of war of who’s really in charge their season has no chance of getting any better. These guys want beer and chickengate to go away but when they are still acting like the same immature group that caused that fiasco nothing is going to change. So far the result prove it.

25. hittfamily - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Pedroia is a piece of shit.

“that isn’t how we do it here.” Bobby should have sent him home for a week and been like, Fuck you dude. You had the biggest choke job ever and haven’t made the playoffs in 2 years.

Is Pedroia so full of himself that he thinks he can tell the manager how things are going to be done? His little man syndrome is making him think waaaayyy too highly of himself.

• georgia - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I mostly won’t disagree with you there, hitt. I still like his on-field performance though.

• bigleagues - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM

And then you got to ruin your awesome “60% of Valentines career in Boston” line with something so dumb and off-target I can’t believe you really believe it.

“this isn’t how we do it here” is the one teflon player in that clubhouse standing up for the rest of his teammates and reminding Bobby it isn’t 2000 anymore. That leveling criticisms (whether intentional or not) via the media directed at a specific player is not how it’s done in Boston.

I have ZERO problem with that. And neither should anyone else.

But I guess it shouldn’t surprise me or anyone else that there are people who do not understand how to read or hear a quote in context.

Am I a pissed off RedSox fan? Yeah. Who am I pissed at? Cherington? No. Valentine? No. Beckett? No (well actually yes, but its a personal issue).

I’m pissed at the one guy who ALL of this horseshit over the last few years – specifically the last 8 months – can be traced back to . . . Larry “MyShitDon’tStink” Lucchino.

I have heralded the many great things he has done on the business side of the RedSox to increase revenue, improve Fenway and the surrounding area, etc . . . But his meddling on the baseball side has been causing serious repercussions on the field, in the clubhouse and in the front office.

I believe that John Henry wasn’t aware that Theo Epstein wasn’t invited to the 100 year anniversary until a reporter asked him on THURSDAY. But then that sends a warning bell louder than any single one before it. HOW DID JOHN HENRY NOT KNOW THAT LUCCHINO HAD LACKED THE DECENCY AND BASIC PUBLIC RELATIONS SENSIBILITY TO INVITE THEO EPSTEIN?!

E-G-O ergo LUCCHINO MUST GO. Not just because of the Theo thing . . . because the headlines in Boston on the 100 yr anniversary the most iconic ballpark in sports were riddled with embarrassing storylines almost all of which have Lucchino’s fingerprints on them to one degree or another.

But to get on Pedroia is just a heavy piece on envy pie on your part. Sorry for your loss btw . . . with regard to the once proud 2nd Baseman in Philly.

• hittfamily - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I’m a Rays fan, not a Philly fan. No one on my team has ever undermined their coach, especially in his first week on the job. Pedroia should have kept it out of the media, just as Valentine should have. But the hypocrisy Pedroia shows by going through the media to tell his coach not to go through the media is baffling. He is a POS who thinks he owns the locker room. His manager owns the locker room.

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM

My apologies for mistaking you for a fan of a real MLB franchise. But hey, in a couple more years that sad excuse for an Owner can finally right the idiocy of his last RSN deal, and maybe they’ll start paying those players with their own money.

Each morning you wake up, you should knee down at the side of your bed and thank God for the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies for providing the revenue sharing money necessary for the Rays to meet payroll and allow Sternberg to record a profit – albeit via the unique MLB method of cooking the books that actually shows a loss. Makes it easier to swindle the taxpayers for public stadium dollars, tax breaks and bonding.

Just sayin.

As such, the players on the Rays roster fall into one of two categories: young and under team control or old and fighting to keep their career afloat. No doubt the Rays have had success with that formula. But the Rays economics does not necessarily work for other organizations. For one thing, if all other teams utilized the Rays formula, the Rays wouldn’t be the Rays. For another thing, there would likely be a massive collusion lawsuit by the MLBPA against MLB bigger market teams.

So, Joe Maddon has the luxury of not needing to deal with the power that is granted willingly by major league teams which pay their superstars what they’re worth.

Devil if you do, devil if you don’t.

All of that having been said . . . Pedroia displayed ZERO.ZERO hypocrisy. Are you familiar with ying and yang? Whether it was intended to be criticism or not, Bobby made a comment on live TV about one his players . . . Pedroia responded with a statement through the media to make a salient point to Bobby . . . it can work both ways . . . be more careful with the statements you make publicly.

Say what you want about the Red Sox play on field. I’m disgusted. Their performance is fair game for the haters and critics. This much is clear – there are a couple of bad apples still on that roster (one of which I have long suspected is Youkilis) but those problems are on Lucchino, Cherington and now to a lesser extent – Epstein.

Perhaps this is a shock to your sensibilities but it is the exception – not the rule – when managers walk into a clubhouse and already command respect from the whole roster.

Valentine entered this fray with baggage of his own and Bobby knew coming in he needed to temper his penchant for making controversial shot-from-the-hip remarks. Pedroia, the de facto Captain on that roster simply reminded him of that in the most efficient way possible. Name another time when Pedroia has ever made such a comment. You can’t. It hasn’t happened.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3163)