Apr 21, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
It’s been a while since we’ve checked in on Ryan Howard‘s rehab from Achilles tendon surgery, mostly because he hasn’t been doing a whole lot. While he ditched his protective boot about a month ago, he has been limited to strength exercises and basic on-field work. However, things could change soon.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Howard is scheduled to visit with a specialist Monday. If the doctor is happy with his progress, he could be cleared for more baseball activities. The 32-year-old has yet to hit or run since undergoing a procedure in February to have stitches removed from an infected area of his Achilles.
Howard’s return date is still something of a mystery, but it can’t come soon enough for the power-starved Phillies. Their first baseman have combined to bat just .255/.321/.373 with one homer, seven RBI and a .694 OPS across 51 at-bats so far this season. The Phillies have a .617 OPS and seven homers through 14 games. Only the Cubs (five) have hit fewer home runs.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)