Apr 21, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
It’s been a while since we’ve checked in on Ryan Howard‘s rehab from Achilles tendon surgery, mostly because he hasn’t been doing a whole lot. While he ditched his protective boot about a month ago, he has been limited to strength exercises and basic on-field work. However, things could change soon.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Howard is scheduled to visit with a specialist Monday. If the doctor is happy with his progress, he could be cleared for more baseball activities. The 32-year-old has yet to hit or run since undergoing a procedure in February to have stitches removed from an infected area of his Achilles.
Howard’s return date is still something of a mystery, but it can’t come soon enough for the power-starved Phillies. Their first baseman have combined to bat just .255/.321/.373 with one homer, seven RBI and a .694 OPS across 51 at-bats so far this season. The Phillies have a .617 OPS and seven homers through 14 games. Only the Cubs (five) have hit fewer home runs.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)