Ryan Howard could be cleared for more baseball activities soon

Apr 21, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT

Ryan Howard rehabbing Reuters

It’s been a while since we’ve checked in on Ryan Howard‘s rehab from Achilles tendon surgery, mostly because he hasn’t been doing a whole lot. While he ditched his protective boot about a month ago, he has been limited to strength exercises and basic on-field work. However, things could change soon.

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Howard is scheduled to visit with a specialist Monday. If the doctor is happy with his progress, he could be cleared for more baseball activities. The 32-year-old has yet to hit or run since undergoing a procedure in February to have stitches removed from an infected area of his Achilles.

Howard’s return date is still something of a mystery, but it can’t come soon enough for the power-starved Phillies. Their first baseman have combined to bat just .255/.321/.373 with one homer, seven RBI and a .694 OPS across 51 at-bats so far this season. The Phillies have a .617 OPS and seven homers through 14 games. Only the Cubs (five) have hit fewer home runs.

1. philly71198 - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Finally!! He’s back! He will have a big impact on their season.

2. leerosenthall - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Only the Cubs have hit fewer home runs, Shortie. Fewer. If people are going to bellyache about RBI vs. RBIs, can we at least get the difference between “less” and “fewer” correct? My kids read this blog, and I expect nothing less than excellence.

• D.J. Short - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Ha. ‘ll change it as long as you never called me “Shortie” again. Deal?

• leerosenthall - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

DEAL! And apologies for that. It was meant as a term of endearment, but I’ll stick with “Deej” in the future. ;-)

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

get a room you two!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Your kids read this blog and your worried about them picking up bad habits in grammar?

• paperlions - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

What should rank above that?

Becoming anti-baldites?
        Deciding pie >>>> cake?
        Becoming a Francoeur fan?
        Learning to dismiss the pitching win?
        Exposure to Protius posts? (yeah, should probably rank #1)

This could be quite a list.

• leerosenthall - Apr 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Hey, it’s all relative. If they’re going to read a baseball blog, I’ve seen none with higher level discourse than this one. Take from that what you will. Nonetheless, I can assure you my teens know the difference between “your” and “you’re.” How old are you?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

1.) —Sigh— I noticed that as soon as I clicked on post, but I couldn’t stop and edit it. :(
        2.) EDIT FUNCTION!!!!!!!!! (Oh, and SARCASM FONT!!!!!!!!)

paperlions: Exposure to protius, cup0pizza and a few other posts on here should be at the top of all avoidance lists.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Oh, and I’m 38 with two kids of my own, one of whom is learning how to read, so I know…oh, do I know. 8)

• leerosenthall - Apr 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

At least you CARE about the mistake. Your youngins should be proud.

• D.J. Short - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Haha, no problem. Saying shortie makes me hungry for a Wawa hoagie, mostly.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want a Wawa hoagie—and the requisite coffee, ya know, since I’m there and all….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4997)