Apr 21, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman was expected to get the day off tomorrow, so it was a bit of a surprise to see Mark DeRosa run out to third base this afternoon against the Marlins. According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Zimmerman was a late-minute scratch due to mild right shoulder inflammation.
The team announced that Zimmerman has “no structural damage in the least,” though no MRI was performed. He is listed as day-to-day right now.
Zimmerman, 27, is hitting .224/.324/.345 with one home run, seven RBI and a .668 OPS through 68 plate appearances this season. He signed a six-year, $100 million extension in late February which will keep him with the Nationals through at least 2019.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)