Apr 22, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
From LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune comes word that the A’s have claimed infielder Luke Hughes off waivers from the Twins.
Hughes — a native of Perth, Australia — was designated for assignment by Minnesota last week after batting just .200/.182/.200 with four strikeouts through his first 11 plate appearances this season.
The 27-year-old hit .223/.289/.338 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 96 games last year and holds a rough .627 career OPS.
Hughes will function as organizational infield depth for Oakland, though he’s not much of a defender.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)