Apr 22, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
From LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune comes word that the A’s have claimed infielder Luke Hughes off waivers from the Twins.
Hughes — a native of Perth, Australia — was designated for assignment by Minnesota last week after batting just .200/.182/.200 with four strikeouts through his first 11 plate appearances this season.
The 27-year-old hit .223/.289/.338 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 96 games last year and holds a rough .627 career OPS.
Hughes will function as organizational infield depth for Oakland, though he’s not much of a defender.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 71
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)