Apr 22, 2012, 2:29 PM EST
From LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune comes word that the A’s have claimed infielder Luke Hughes off waivers from the Twins.
Hughes — a native of Perth, Australia — was designated for assignment by Minnesota last week after batting just .200/.182/.200 with four strikeouts through his first 11 plate appearances this season.
The 27-year-old hit .223/.289/.338 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 96 games last year and holds a rough .627 career OPS.
Hughes will function as organizational infield depth for Oakland, though he’s not much of a defender.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)