Apr 22, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
From LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune comes word that the A’s have claimed infielder Luke Hughes off waivers from the Twins.
Hughes — a native of Perth, Australia — was designated for assignment by Minnesota last week after batting just .200/.182/.200 with four strikeouts through his first 11 plate appearances this season.
The 27-year-old hit .223/.289/.338 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 96 games last year and holds a rough .627 career OPS.
Hughes will function as organizational infield depth for Oakland, though he’s not much of a defender.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness