Apr 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Erik Bedard is hardly the only quality pitcher still winless on the season. Jordan Zimmermann, Ryan Dempster, Cliff Lee and and Bruce Chen all have ERAs of 2.00 or better and are still sporting zeroes in the win column.
None of those guys, though, have taken more than two losses. Bedard was just tagged with his fourth today after allowing three runs — two earned — in seven innings against the Cardinals. Bedard has allowed just eight runs — seven earned — on the season, but the Pirates have scored a total of three in his four starts, giving him the 0-4 record.
It didn’t have to be this way. Bedard surely would have drawn interest from contenders had he waited until some of the top pitchers were off the market last winter. Instead, he jumped at Pittsburgh’s $4.5 million guarantee on Dec. 7. I wonder if he’d make the same choice again.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 8
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 79
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)