Apr 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Erik Bedard is hardly the only quality pitcher still winless on the season. Jordan Zimmermann, Ryan Dempster, Cliff Lee and and Bruce Chen all have ERAs of 2.00 or better and are still sporting zeroes in the win column.
None of those guys, though, have taken more than two losses. Bedard was just tagged with his fourth today after allowing three runs — two earned — in seven innings against the Cardinals. Bedard has allowed just eight runs — seven earned — on the season, but the Pirates have scored a total of three in his four starts, giving him the 0-4 record.
It didn’t have to be this way. Bedard surely would have drawn interest from contenders had he waited until some of the top pitchers were off the market last winter. Instead, he jumped at Pittsburgh’s $4.5 million guarantee on Dec. 7. I wonder if he’d make the same choice again.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)