Apr 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Erik Bedard is hardly the only quality pitcher still winless on the season. Jordan Zimmermann, Ryan Dempster, Cliff Lee and and Bruce Chen all have ERAs of 2.00 or better and are still sporting zeroes in the win column.
None of those guys, though, have taken more than two losses. Bedard was just tagged with his fourth today after allowing three runs — two earned — in seven innings against the Cardinals. Bedard has allowed just eight runs — seven earned — on the season, but the Pirates have scored a total of three in his four starts, giving him the 0-4 record.
It didn’t have to be this way. Bedard surely would have drawn interest from contenders had he waited until some of the top pitchers were off the market last winter. Instead, he jumped at Pittsburgh’s $4.5 million guarantee on Dec. 7. I wonder if he’d make the same choice again.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 0
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 16
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)