Apr 22, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
While the Twins weren’t ready to reveal their exact plans, they said after Sunday’s loss to the Rays that they’d “take a step back” with Francisco Liriano after he gave up five runs and fell to 0-3 on the season.
Liriano, who had an outstanding spring after tuning up in winter ball, is 0-3 with an 11.02 ERA after four starts. He has a 12/13 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings. Liriano finished up March with a 2.33 ERA and an exceptional 33/5 K/BB ratio in 29 innings.
After two hitless innings to start the afternoon, Liriano walked two and hit a batter to begin the third. The Rays went on to score twice without the benefit of a hit. Liriano was unlucky in the fourth, as Evan Longoria was credited with a catwalk double on a ball that would have caught elsewhere. He later came around to score. Still, Liriano has mostly made his own bed this season.
If the Twins sent Liriano to the pen, it’d hopefully be a temporary measure. Anthony Swarzak could swap places with him or the team could call up Scott Diamond from Triple-A to fill the rotation spot.
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)