Apr 22, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
While the Twins weren’t ready to reveal their exact plans, they said after Sunday’s loss to the Rays that they’d “take a step back” with Francisco Liriano after he gave up five runs and fell to 0-3 on the season.
Liriano, who had an outstanding spring after tuning up in winter ball, is 0-3 with an 11.02 ERA after four starts. He has a 12/13 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings. Liriano finished up March with a 2.33 ERA and an exceptional 33/5 K/BB ratio in 29 innings.
After two hitless innings to start the afternoon, Liriano walked two and hit a batter to begin the third. The Rays went on to score twice without the benefit of a hit. Liriano was unlucky in the fourth, as Evan Longoria was credited with a catwalk double on a ball that would have caught elsewhere. He later came around to score. Still, Liriano has mostly made his own bed this season.
If the Twins sent Liriano to the pen, it’d hopefully be a temporary measure. Anthony Swarzak could swap places with him or the team could call up Scott Diamond from Triple-A to fill the rotation spot.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)