Apr 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
The Giants announced Saturday that second baseman Freddy Sanchez will begin an injury rehabilitation assignment Monday with Class A San Jose in the hope that he will be able to perform defensively by the middle of the week.
Sanchez will be limited to DH duties initially as he continues to build strength around his surgically-repaired right shoulder. He should join the Giants’ starting lineup about a week after he’s cleared to begin playing second base in minor league rehab games.
Sanchez hasn’t played in a major league game since June 10, 2011. He’s a .297/.335/.413 career hitter.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)