Apr 22, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
Kyle Blanks‘ 2012 season is already over.
According to beat writer Dan Hayes of the North County Times, the 25-year-old corner outfielder needs surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder and will not return to action this year.
Blanks made just six plate appearances for the Padres this season, tallying one hit, one walk and two strikeouts for a .200/.333/.200 slash line.
He played in only 55 games in 2011 because of Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery and has been unable to build on the production he flashed (.868 OPS, 10 home runs in 54 games) as a rookie in 2009.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)