Apr 22, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
Aided by a blown call that gave Texas a run in the top of the 11th, the Rangers edged the Tigers 3-2 on Sunday to claim the four-game series and maintain the game’s best record at 13-3.
The Rangers loaded the bases with no outs in the 11th versus reliever Thad Weber, who was making his major league debut. Alberto Gonzalez, who was starting in Adrian Beltre‘s place, then attempted a suicide squeeze, but the pitch was high and the bunt went straight down and hit him in the knee before bouncing into fair territory. Unfortunately, none of the umpires noticed the body contact, and the suicide proved successful. In fact, the Tigers didn’t even get an out on the play because no one covered first after Weber fielded the ball.
To home plate umpire Tim Welke’s credit, he did meet with the other umpires after Tigers manager Jim Leyland came out to complain. Still, the call stood. Instant replay would have made it obvious that the ball hit his knee and changed directions, but we can’t have that, can we?
Weber got out of the jam from there, but the damage was done, and the Tigers couldn’t score off Joe Nathan in the bottom of the 11th. They lost three out of four to Texas at home to drop to 10-6 on the year.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)