Apr 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The 34-year-old righty has been throwing regular bullpen sessions in anticipation of joining a team at some point this summer. Whether he’s ready to sign now or wants to continue waiting remains to be seen, and probably depends largely on the size of the contract offers he’s currently receiving.
Boston’s need is obvious given the team’s troubling 4-10 record and last-ranked 6.68 staff ERA.
And with Chris Carpenter still out indefinitely, the Cardinals also make sense as a landing spot.
Oswalt registered a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last season for the Phillies.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)