Apr 22, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The 34-year-old righty has been throwing regular bullpen sessions in anticipation of joining a team at some point this summer. Whether he’s ready to sign now or wants to continue waiting remains to be seen, and probably depends largely on the size of the contract offers he’s currently receiving.
Boston’s need is obvious given the team’s troubling 4-10 record and last-ranked 6.68 staff ERA.
And with Chris Carpenter still out indefinitely, the Cardinals also make sense as a landing spot.
Oswalt registered a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last season for the Phillies.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)