Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
Daniel Bard is headed back to the Red Sox bullpen, but only for a couple of days.
The Red Sox announced plans to skip Bard after his scheduled start Sunday night against the Yankees was rained out. Jon Lester will stay on schedule and start Monday.
The decision isn’t likely to result in any save chances for Bard, but he will be available to work the eighth inning in front of Alfredo Aceves. If he does that and it goes well, the pressure could be on the Red Sox to keep Bard there and call up Aaron Cook to join the rotation.
Bard’s next start will come Friday against the White Sox.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)