Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Daniel Bard is headed back to the Red Sox bullpen, but only for a couple of days.
The Red Sox announced plans to skip Bard after his scheduled start Sunday night against the Yankees was rained out. Jon Lester will stay on schedule and start Monday.
The decision isn’t likely to result in any save chances for Bard, but he will be available to work the eighth inning in front of Alfredo Aceves. If he does that and it goes well, the pressure could be on the Red Sox to keep Bard there and call up Aaron Cook to join the rotation.
Bard’s next start will come Friday against the White Sox.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)