Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Daniel Bard is headed back to the Red Sox bullpen, but only for a couple of days.
The Red Sox announced plans to skip Bard after his scheduled start Sunday night against the Yankees was rained out. Jon Lester will stay on schedule and start Monday.
The decision isn’t likely to result in any save chances for Bard, but he will be available to work the eighth inning in front of Alfredo Aceves. If he does that and it goes well, the pressure could be on the Red Sox to keep Bard there and call up Aaron Cook to join the rotation.
Bard’s next start will come Friday against the White Sox.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 40
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)