Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Daniel Bard is headed back to the Red Sox bullpen, but only for a couple of days.
The Red Sox announced plans to skip Bard after his scheduled start Sunday night against the Yankees was rained out. Jon Lester will stay on schedule and start Monday.
The decision isn’t likely to result in any save chances for Bard, but he will be available to work the eighth inning in front of Alfredo Aceves. If he does that and it goes well, the pressure could be on the Red Sox to keep Bard there and call up Aaron Cook to join the rotation.
Bard’s next start will come Friday against the White Sox.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)