Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Daniel Bard is headed back to the Red Sox bullpen, but only for a couple of days.
The Red Sox announced plans to skip Bard after his scheduled start Sunday night against the Yankees was rained out. Jon Lester will stay on schedule and start Monday.
The decision isn’t likely to result in any save chances for Bard, but he will be available to work the eighth inning in front of Alfredo Aceves. If he does that and it goes well, the pressure could be on the Red Sox to keep Bard there and call up Aaron Cook to join the rotation.
Bard’s next start will come Friday against the White Sox.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)