The Royals are still a Little League team

Apr 22, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT

Brett Lawrie, Humberto Quintero Getty Images

Things will be different one of these years, I imagine. It just won’t be this one.

The Royals fell to 3-12 by losing 5-3 to the Blue Jays on Sunday. Toronto got its fifth run on a double-steal with two outs in the top of the eighth. Here’s the video. Humberto Quintero opted to throw to second base with Brett Lawrie on third. Second baseman Yuniesky Betancourt came in a bit to cut the throw off, but he didn’t even come close to nailing the runner at home.

I’m not sure which of the duo deserves more blame. Quintero could have held on to the ball, but J.P. Arencibia would have been a dead duck had the throw gone through. The only question is whether he could have stayed in a rundown long enough for the run to score. Betancourt, for his part, committed too late to have a chance to cut down the speedy Lawrie. He needed to be more aggressive in trying to cut the ball off or in grabbing it and trying to chase down Arencibia.

Regardless, it was bad execution on the part of a team that’s famous for it. And it still wasn’t the ugliest play for the team today. That came a half-inning later, when Jason Bourgeois was picked off and caught stealing… in the bottom of the eighth with the Royals down three runs and the team’s No. 3 batter and hottest hitter (Billy Butler) at the plate.

I mean, duh.

1. butchhuskey - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Poor Royals, I really do feel bad for them. A year or two ago I read about how the future was bright in KC because of their great farm system. Unfortunately it seems like they still might be a few years away.

• js20011041 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If you’re a Royals fan, you have to be kind of torn. Dayton Moore has produced the best farm system in baseball, yet he still makes many questionable decisions. Multi year deal for Francoeur, bringing back Betancourt, the insistence on keeping the known commodity in Chris Getz on the roster rather than playing the unknown in Giavotella. I think that purely as a baseball fan, it would be a damn shame if an organization with this much talent found a way to screw it up.

• lvtutorservice - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My patience with Dayton Moore is slowly fading away. His decision to bring back Yuni a head scratcher. When he brought him on board in 2009, baseball experts severely criticized the move. I did some research and found his skills seem to fade with average and power decreasing each year. So glad in 2011 when he left for Milwaukee. I hoped they wouldn’t bring him ever.
        Getz is lucky he is still here in KC, lucky to have a job. This is the only team that would start him at 2nd. How sad. Bring up Giavotella. The offense is there but the defense needs work.
        There is a radio ad around KC featuring a voiceover from a Royals player. He says “that team isn’t like any other team”. Nope. The team still sucks. I am a die hard fan and I’m saying this. How sad is that.

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Don’t you guys realize that Felipe Paulino is just weeks – if not days – from his return?

• jss7676 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I really wish they would bring the royals to Charlotte,NC so we could have a MLB team and hire a new management team.

2. cur68 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

No love for the Beaver Men’s play, Matt? Romero was pretty good, the hitters hit well, the runners ran well and lo! there was a Beaver Victory (which are the best kind of victories). Id say some of what was wrong with the Royals was due to that stuff.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Being “pretty good” against the Royals isn’t exactly bragging material. The Royals have sucked against all competition (except for the “mighty” LAoA)…thus the 3-12 record.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Now, now, I’m just trying to be a little charitable. There ARE KC fans who read this thing and they don’t need to see me taking the piss out of the Royals any more than Matt already has. The Blue Jays did play well. Royals players did brain fart at the wrong moments, but they also got outplayed a bit, too. On the other side of the coin, watching Duffy, the Royal’s SP, in a lather of panic on an IB to E5 was not a matter of skill but rather lack of experience, so Matt’s right, too. I’m not saying he isn’t, just that some Beaver Skillz had some influence on the outcome, too.

• missthemexpos - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Can”t remember the last time I saw a pitcher so nervous as Duffy was giving the IB to Encarnacion in the 5th inning. He would have been better off pulling the old Don Drysdale, hitting Enccarnacion and saving 3 pitches.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

These days, MTE, I think that’s a “Greinke”, but your comment is spot on.

3. js20011041 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Not to get too far off the topic of the Royals, but I don’t care if the 1st and 3rd is technically foolish for risking outs on the basepaths, I love that play. That’s exciting baseball.

4. proudlycanadian - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Once the catcher threw to second, Lawrie was going to score. Lawrie is quite fast. The Jays were willing to sacrifice an out at second in order to increase their lead from 2 to 3. Arencibia being safe at second was a bonus. Sure the catcher goofed, but the Jays forced a mistake by putting pressure on KC.

• stex52 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I’m not sure I would call it a “goof.” Quintero is a solid defensive catcher with a good arm. He does tend to be very aggressive, but it’s purely a question of execution. A short stop doing his job can get the ball back before any runner has a chance to score. What it requires is a quick decision. That appeared to be lacking. And I would lay that heavily on coaching.

5. Gobias Industries - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM

“The Royals are still a Little League team.” You tell ‘em, Leonard Koppett.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM

On a more charitable note, the Royals are not as disappointing as the Red Sox.

• js20011041 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Ugh, don’t remind me. If you’re talking about Little League, how do you not mention the Red Sox bullpen?

6. kcmaddog1 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

To call the Kansas City Royals “little league” Mr. Pouliot shows how much of an idiot you are. Shame on you.

• js20011041 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I thought the comment was a little harsh too, but if you’re going to call him an idiot, at least state why. To leave out that information makes your post seem incomplete.

7. jason9696 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I really feel for Kansas City and Pittsburgh baseball fans. At least if you live in either city it shouldn’t be too hard getting tickets to their games.

8. rejamaro - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It is funny that you would call the Royals a little league team, because I was at the game today and when Lawrie scored from third I said to the kids I was with that I have seen 12 year olds execute better than the Royals do.
    Jason Bourgeois getting picked off of first is just one of way too many baserunning mistakes already made by the Royals in their first 15 games. Without knowing the totals, I would be willing to bet that the Royals are leading the major leagues in outs recorded against them on the bases.
    Very disappointing start by the “Boys in Blue” (Emphasis on Boys).

9. rejamaro - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

A really dumb comment!

10. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I think the “little league team” is a little harsh. For starters they are the youngest team in the Majors. I know it is a cliche, but it is still true. The only people who were jacking expectations about the Royals were the “expert” media people like Rosenthal and some others. Second, the Red Sox have only one more win than the Royals, so what does that make them? A high school team?
    This was always going to be a learning season for the Royals, but please you shouldn’t be so snarky.

11. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

You have obviously never been to KC.

• cshalls - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Yes that is a seriously dumb comment, I am am a huge tigers fan and I would say Kauffman is one of the better venues I’ve been to to see the game and the fans were into it. Do your research before leaving stupid comments

12. vols84 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Quote: “Royals should just be moved to another city kc is not a baseball town”

Kansas City is a historic baseball town tracing roots back to the Negro Leagues.

Do your research before showing your lack of knowledge with an irresponsible comment like that.

• royalsfaninfargo - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Bravo

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The 1884 Kansas City Cowboys were really bad, but they probably predate any Negro League teams.

13. vols84 - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

There is no KC Cowboys Hall of Fame museum like there is for the historic Negro League here in KC.

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’m not disputing that KC is associated with the Negro Leagues and should be. My point is that the roots of professional baseball in KC go back farther than the Monarchs and the Negro National League (which was, of course, founded in KC). KC is a good baseball town and has been for a very long time.

14. hotkarlsandwich - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

KC BBQ = Good
    KC Baseball = Bad

15. r8rh8r - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Being a Royals fan is like being a Padres fan except where you live sux.

16. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Yes, the city that houses the Negro League Museum is obviously not a baseball town, started by Buck O’Neil in a city known for baseball, jazz and it’s bbq.

17. buffalomafia - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:40 AM

You would think after all these years of being crappy & good draft picks they would have been in playoffs by now?

Samething with the Pirates?

18. kcmaddog1 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM

There’s a one word answer to the good teams – bad teams argument.

Payroll

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I have a two word response to your theory.

Red Sox.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Tampa Bay Rays, Milwuakee Brewers.

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Then explain how the Rays went to the World Series in 2008. Payroll ultimately has nothing to do with winning titles, or else Yankees would win every single season. It’s ultimate talent, and how you finish that determines if a team can win, or not.

19. randall351 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I just wonder how big of a hole does Ned Yost have to dig before he gets put on the hot seat?

20. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

As a Royals fan I have watched so much terrible baseball it is really difficult to say anything to offend me. Even the other comments about the city itself are so dumb they’re not worth responding to.

I knew there would be growing pains with a young team. I didn’t expect a division champion this year. All I ask is that the Royals play medicore baseball as opposed to terrible, and I don’t mean normal terrible, we’re talking history making terrible. Do you realize if they don’t win tonight they will go all of April without winning a home game, and then have the Yankees waiting for them when they get back in May. At least the Yankees will be waiting for them. I don’t think the fans will.

Like others have said, I’m about done with Dayton Moore’s “Process”. Processes for other teams work, this one doesn’t.

21. jimeejohnson - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Somewhere, George Brett is still angry about the pine tar incident!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I believe that it was on Friday that Brett Lawrie and J. P. Arencibia had lunch with George Brett. They were not born when the pine tar incident occured, so they read up on it and then asked him about it. The meeting was set up for the two young Jays by Buck Martinez who had been George Brett’s room mate in KC. A good time was had by all.

• jwbiii - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for sharing. I’m always glad to hear when the youngsters show respect for the grand old men of the game and when the GOMs show respect to the youngsters.

22. chiefsfaninpa - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

As a die hard Royals fan, it pains me to see the team performing as badly as they are doing now. I lived with the good of the late 70′s and early to Mid 80′s glory days and all of the bad since then. Dayton and his staff has rebuilt the farm system from basically the ground up but that doesn’t mean I am giving Dayton Moore a free pass for the rotten baseball that has been played in his 6 years of tenure as the GM. They are trying to model the franchise after the Rays/Twins organizations and build a small market team up to where they can compete but I am not in agreement with the fundamentals that are being taught or the way they are playing nor am I thrilled with some of the personnel decisions like optioning Giotavella to AAA and letting Getz/Yuni share 2B..

The rotation is basically made up of #4 and #5 starters and the bullpen has underperformed this season and the offense is near the bottom in runs scored. As for Dayton and Ned Yost..I don’t see any changes with them during the season.

23. foreverchipper10 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I nearly placed a bet on the under for wins for KC this year. I maybe should’ve taken that…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5141)