Apr 23, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
The 14-time All-Star and 13-time Gold Glove winner was honored during a pregame ceremony, after which he was slated to throw out the ceremonial first pitch to former teammate Michael Young. Pudge walked out to the front of the mound while Young crouched behind home plate. Pretty standard stuff. However, the pair decided to call an audible.
Rodriguez instead went back behind the plate and fired one down to Young, who stood behind second base. You can watch the throw here.
The two words that come to mind are “appropriate” and “awesome.”
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)