Apr 23, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The 14-time All-Star and 13-time Gold Glove winner was honored during a pregame ceremony, after which he was slated to throw out the ceremonial first pitch to former teammate Michael Young. Pudge walked out to the front of the mound while Young crouched behind home plate. Pretty standard stuff. However, the pair decided to call an audible.
Rodriguez instead went back behind the plate and fired one down to Young, who stood behind second base. You can watch the throw here.
The two words that come to mind are “appropriate” and “awesome.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17