Apr 23, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
The 14-time All-Star and 13-time Gold Glove winner was honored during a pregame ceremony, after which he was slated to throw out the ceremonial first pitch to former teammate Michael Young. Pudge walked out to the front of the mound while Young crouched behind home plate. Pretty standard stuff. However, the pair decided to call an audible.
Rodriguez instead went back behind the plate and fired one down to Young, who stood behind second base. You can watch the throw here.
The two words that come to mind are “appropriate” and “awesome.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 32
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 46
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32