Maybe people aren’t really blaming Bobby Valentine after all

Apr 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

It seemed like everyone was blaming Bobby Valentine for the Sox’ slow start, so I and a lot of other people wrote “hey, don’t blame Bobby Valentine” posts in the past few days.  But maybe people aren’t really blaming him at all. At least not in real numbers.

Granted, this Boston Globe poll with around a 1200 votes so far is as unscientific as a Creationist perpetual motion machine, but it’s still kind of interesting:

source:

Vote here. No ballot box stuffing for Bobby V., even if it’s a lot more fun if he’s the story as opposed to bad pitching.

(Thanks to Josh R. for the heads up)

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Amazing what the media can blow things up into.

2. dowhatifeellike - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Who cares what the cause is? The Red Sox suck and that’s great!

Now if only the Yanks could tank too.

3. 18thstreet - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Listen, I don’t get to boo Theo Epstein. But most of this mess is his fault. Cherington hasn’t been GM long enough to be blamed for enough of the roster.

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I don’t know if I can agree fully with laying the blame mostly on Theo’s shoulders. In fact, I know I can’t.

My view and sense of this debacle is that Larry Lucchino undermined the baseball operations side with his own agenda on more than one occasion. John Henry has been caught with his pants down a couple of times now on embarrassing events and actions that can be traced back to one guy and one guy only . . . Larry “MyShitDon’tStink” Lucchino.

#FIRELUCCHINO

4. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM

He has had 2 questionable bull pen moves and those who questioned are media honks who don’t know Shiite, out of work managers and washed up ball players in Bristol and people who post on this site.

• hittfamily - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I don’t know what a branch of Islam has to do with this, but I do know trying to decide whether to go to go with this shitty reliever, or that shitty reliever is a decision no manager would make correctly.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oh damn, that’s a sikh burn

[yes i know it's not the other sect, but sunni doesn't work]

• Kevin S. - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I guess Bobby V. is realizing that unlike Philadelphia, it’s not always Sunni in Boston.

I’ll start the thumbsdown brigade myself for that one.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged – Apr 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM
        Oh damn, that’s a sikh burn

[yes i know it's not the other sect, but sunni doesn't work]

Not true- I work with a guy named Sunni.

5. pisano - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Most of his problems are his big mouth.

6. bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

As I stated earlier . . . I don’t think the fans in Boston are booing Bobby Valentine as much as they are booing the front office.

They are booing Lowrie for Melancon swap. They are booing the lame retread bullpen. But most of all they are booing the confused logic that somehow believed that bringing in an old-school no-nonsense manager would somehow change the clubhouse culture that led to last seasons meltdown.

THE ONLY WAY to change a fractured clubhouse is to subtract the piece or pieces that are causing the conflict and consternation. I think its pretty clear that has not happened.

As I have said all weekend and will continue to state tirelessly this embarrassing team – even by historical Boston standards – falls squarely on Larry “MyShitDon’tStink” Lucchino’s shoulders. He wanted to reap all the credit so he set about making Theo Epstein’s life a nightmare and he succeeded in chasing Theo out of town.

That people are ‘booing’ Bobby V is more media creation than reality. Bobby came in with a career of verbal baggage. The Boston media has seem poised and ready to pounce on him since the day he was hired.

Enough is enough.

Buy Larry out and #FIRELUCCHINO

• bigharold - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

“..‘booing’ Bobby V is more media creation than reality.”

I don’t really agree that this is merely a media creation. You’d have to admit that him singling out Youkilis after only ten games certainly helped fuel the fire. In general Valentine has a big mouth, .. is opinionated and isn’t shy expressing those opinions. Think; his comments about Jeter. Not wther he was accurate or not but what was the point? Just like what was the point of the Youkilis remarks?

Generally, I agree that the RS owners and GMs, both current and recent are the primary culprits.

Signing Lacky and Crawford, .. seven years and 5 SS and not a keeper in the bunch, .. Jenks and the rest of the retreads in the pen, .. a RF platoon situation that seems pretty weak for a club with a 175 mil payroll. Letting Papelbom walk without have a fallback plan as if the prospect of him leaving was news. Moving Bard to the rotation without having a set up replacement. Giving Cherington the job but not the authority to hire his own GM.

Valentine hasn’t helped his cause but this dismal start by the RS is on the owners and FO. And, unless there is some definitive statement backing Valentine the “fire Valentine” ranting will not stop. Also, it’d help if they got a decent reliever or two.

7. Ben - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I look forward to the Globe’s coverage neatly mirroring that breakdown.

8. Tim OShenko - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Creationist perpetual motion machine?

“In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!”

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM

What a joke. It just keeps going fast and faster.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Doh!

9. vasteelerfan - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

What position does Bobby v play? I guess missed his at bats?

10. chiadam - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

They should probably fire everyone just to be safe. Then maybe ESPN will finally talk about the AL East.

11. xpensivewinos - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What was Valentine brought in to do…………what was he supposed to fix? Leadership, clubhouse chemistry, in-game strategy, pseudo-psychologist to soothe egos?????

He’s done nothing well. He’s not the entire problem, but on no level whatsoever has he shown he’s part of the solution.

This was not an ease yourself in to it position. There was not going to be a honeymoon period. He replaced the guy who won two World Series.

Sorry………two weeks in and the experiment failed.

• chiadam - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

From what I’ve seen / heard, all he did was call out someone for loafing. I thought fans loved when managers did that. Look, getting beer and chicken delivered clearly stopped working. The pampered lifestyle they got used to went out the window when they choked away a division, so they lost the right to have a doormat for a manager. I suggest they shut up, grow up, and stop crying about the mean manager.

• bozosforall - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM

They can’t stop crying…it’s the Boston way. They have been crying about the big bad Yankees for the better part of the last 100 years. Why stop now?

12. shaunri - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I think some amount of the “blame” being placed on ownership might be for forcing out Francona and bringing in Valentine, who brings no special talent to the table except bringing on media attention to himself. While Francona’s tenure might have run its course, Valentine, to me, always seemed an odd fit for this team and the way Francona’s departure was handled was odious (and probably led to Theo leaving as well).

It does seem, however, that John Henry’s popularity has really taken a hit (yacht accidents and cross-marketing an English soccer club in Boston can do that) and Larry, well, he is what he is but last season and this past off season have finally left him accountable for being the jerk he seems to be.

13. Glenn - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM

“Creationist perpetual motion machine” – pure poetry for this skeptic’s rational heart.

14. thejoehansen - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM

“2011 hangover”

… I see what you did there.

15. randygnyc - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Big Harold, I thought ownership advocated for him yesterday.

16. bozosforall - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Couldn’t be happening to a more “deserving” fan base.

17. chumthumper - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Hey, Craig, can someone please move all this Red Sox/Bobby V crap to a separate link so I don’t have to wade through this mess every time I want to get some real HBT news? Thanx.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB