Apr 23, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
No one has started both games of a doubleheader since Wilbur Wood in 1973. That’s not going to change today, but Miguel Batista said he’s up for finishing the nightcap after starting the first game of Monday’s doubleheader against the Giants.
Batista, who took the loss this afternoon after allowing six runs — three earned — in 3 2/3 innings versus the Giants, declared himself available to work in the bullpen tonight. It’s unclear if the Mets would really consider using him. They’d surely prefer not to, but they did burn through four relievers in the first game today.
Say what you will about the quality of Batista’s innings, but even at age 41, he remains one of the game’s most durable and versatile pitchers. Last year, making just his sixth start in three years, he threw a two-hit shutout against the Reds on the final day of the season.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)