Apr 23, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
Most of you know I’m a long-standing Chief Wahoo hater, but I think it’s possible and, indeed, preferable to keep the Cleveland Indians name. This is so because, while I understand some people differ, I believe that Wahoo is an inherently offensive sambo character while using the name “Indians” as a team nickname — while somewhat perilous — isn’t necessarily insensitive.
The readers over at Uni Watch have been invited to totally re-imagine the Cleveland Indians, their name and, especially, their uniforms and iconography. The first batch of results are up today. Some of them are kind of neat. Most of them are … unfortunate. That said, it’s great fun to mess around with this stuff anyway, no matter how you feel about the Wahoo/Indians, because designing uniforms looks like a blast.
My personal favorite is the Cleveland Colts submission. No, I’d never want to name the team that, but the script and design are pretty rad. Reminds me of a 1940s-50s minor league team, and I mean that as a compliment.
But like I said, I’d drop the Wahoo, keep the name, figure out how to make a club called the Cleveland Indians honor and elevate Indian culture and history rather than denigrate it and capitalize on it and then I’d make those alternate uniforms they wear with the block C on the cap — the blue cap! — the everyday getup.
In the meantime: enjoy the reader submissions.
(link via Cleveland Frowns)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 14
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 18
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 21
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 32
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)