Apr 23, 2012, 9:44 AM EST
Most of you know I’m a long-standing Chief Wahoo hater, but I think it’s possible and, indeed, preferable to keep the Cleveland Indians name. This is so because, while I understand some people differ, I believe that Wahoo is an inherently offensive sambo character while using the name “Indians” as a team nickname — while somewhat perilous — isn’t necessarily insensitive.
The readers over at Uni Watch have been invited to totally re-imagine the Cleveland Indians, their name and, especially, their uniforms and iconography. The first batch of results are up today. Some of them are kind of neat. Most of them are … unfortunate. That said, it’s great fun to mess around with this stuff anyway, no matter how you feel about the Wahoo/Indians, because designing uniforms looks like a blast.
My personal favorite is the Cleveland Colts submission. No, I’d never want to name the team that, but the script and design are pretty rad. Reminds me of a 1940s-50s minor league team, and I mean that as a compliment.
But like I said, I’d drop the Wahoo, keep the name, figure out how to make a club called the Cleveland Indians honor and elevate Indian culture and history rather than denigrate it and capitalize on it and then I’d make those alternate uniforms they wear with the block C on the cap — the blue cap! — the everyday getup.
In the meantime: enjoy the reader submissions.
(link via Cleveland Frowns)
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)