Apr 23, 2012, 7:41 PM EST
Mike Gonzalez is still out there as a free agent after failing to latch on with a team this winter, but his agent Scott Boras told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com this afternoon that the veteran left-hander “should sign in the next ten days.”
Boras, who was in Arlington today for Ivan Rodriguez‘s retirement ceremony, also said that Gonzalez is almost completely recovered from offseason surgery on his left knee and is throwing bullpen sessions for potential suitors. Gonzalez auditioned for the Reds about a month ago, though it’s not clear if they still have interest. The Red Sox were also dabbling and given that their bullpen has a major-league worst 8.44 ERA, they can’t dismissed as option.
Gonzalez, 33, posted a 4.39 ERA and 51/21 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings between the Orioles and Rangers last year while holding left-handed batters to a .214/.264/.311 batting line and a .574 OPS. He turned down a non-guaranteed minor-league contract from the Rangers in the early part of spring training.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)