Apr 23, 2012, 7:41 PM EDT
Mike Gonzalez is still out there as a free agent after failing to latch on with a team this winter, but his agent Scott Boras told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com this afternoon that the veteran left-hander “should sign in the next ten days.”
Boras, who was in Arlington today for Ivan Rodriguez‘s retirement ceremony, also said that Gonzalez is almost completely recovered from offseason surgery on his left knee and is throwing bullpen sessions for potential suitors. Gonzalez auditioned for the Reds about a month ago, though it’s not clear if they still have interest. The Red Sox were also dabbling and given that their bullpen has a major-league worst 8.44 ERA, they can’t dismissed as option.
Gonzalez, 33, posted a 4.39 ERA and 51/21 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings between the Orioles and Rangers last year while holding left-handed batters to a .214/.264/.311 batting line and a .574 OPS. He turned down a non-guaranteed minor-league contract from the Rangers in the early part of spring training.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17