Apr 23, 2012, 6:38 PM EST
It wasn’t pretty, but Tim Lincecum put together his best start of the young season on Monday, limiting the Mets to one run over five innings to pick up the victory in the first game of Monday’s doubleheader.
Lincecum, who entered 0-2 with a 10.54 ERA in three starts, lowered his ERA to 8.20 with the performance.
Still, it was a tough five innings for the two-time Cy Young Award winning. Lincecum struck out eight, but he also walked give and threw 108 pitches in his five innings. His velocity remained down about where it has been all season; he was typically throwing 89-90 mph with his fastball, though he did hit 92 mph on the gun.
Lincecum is going to have to keep making adjustments in order to succeed without his usual stuff. It worked out today, and since the Giants scored six early runs, it got him a win. Still, 108 pitches in five innings is far from ideal.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
The deal between Cuban infielder Roberto Baldoquin and the Angels became official on Saturday after the 20-year-old passed his physical.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Giants reportedly have no plans to attempt to initiate contract talk with free agent Max Scherzer.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
An unnamed team has reportedly offered a two-year deal to Nick Hundley. It’s not the Orioles.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 PM EST
MLB’s waiver rules are complicated enough for fans and those who cover baseball on a regular basis, but apparently they can even confuse teams sometimes.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
The Phillies could eye Asdrubal Cabrera as a replacement for Jimmy Rollins.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Downs had a 4.97 ERA over 55 appearances this past season between the White Sox and Royals.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
With the Phillies in the middle of a rebuilding effort, they are facing some tough (and long overdue) truths with their veteran players.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Tulowitzki would immediately take the Mets from a “maybe” contender to a “legitimate” contender, but don’t get your hopes up.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Rollins was officially traded from the Phillies to the Dodgers yesterday in exchange for right-hander Zach Eflin and left-hander Tom Windle.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
As part of this week’s three-team Wil Myers trade, the Nationals acquired right-hander Joe Ross and a player to be named later. However, the player to be named later isn’t a mystery. It’s shortstop prospect Trea Turner, who is now in limbo after the trade.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
No word yet on who submitted the top bid.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Chase Utley plans to wear Phillies red until his contract runs out.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
Everything’s coming up Padres lately.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EST
Brian Wilson and his beard are back on the free agent market after the Dodgers released him on Friday.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The Red Sox have brought back lefty Craig Breslow on a one-year deal for $2 million.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres’ outfield should hit a lot of homers in 2015, but they may give back a lot of those runs on defense.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Orioles have settled on a new hitting coach: Scott Coolbaugh.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Giants are looking to solve their third base dilemma with Casey McGehee.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
Jon Lester now has a personal catcher.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
All baseball moves the Yankees make must be construed as pro-A-Rod or anti-A-Rod. There are literally no other reasons the Yankees make baseball moves.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)