Ump takes a Stephen Strasburg fastball right to the, oh … dear.

Apr 23, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Via DC Sports Bog, who in turn found it via Nats Enquirer who — like everyone else who saw it live was likely traumatized — here’s home plate umpire Greg Gibson taking a Stephen Strasburg fastball right to the do re mi on Saturday:

If that video is disabled by MLB at some point today, I do hope that they make it available on their site. So, you know, no one ever forgets the late Greg Gibson’s crotch.

1. youjivinmeturkey - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

O.M.G. WOW. hahahahahahahahaha
    You Just KNOW That Hurt Like Hell.
    When I Played Baseball, I Took A Shot To The Pills On A Few Occasions, And I Did The Same Thing The Ump Did. I Dropped To The Ground Immediately hahaha
    Sheesh.
    Poor Guy. ;) hehehe
    -BRAD

• 28loose - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Not that I disagree with your comment per se, but everything about your comment was insanely annoying.

• youjivinmeturkey - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Oh, Okie Dokie. I Can Handle Annoying :)

2. butchhuskey - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Look like it hit the inner thigh rather than the
    crotch- still very painful, though.

3. woodenulykteneau - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Any umpire — just like any player — dumb enough to set foot on the field without a cup *deserves* this to happen. It’s called natural selection.

• gerryb323 - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I would think a Strasburg fastball to the cup would still be mighty painful. I highly doubt the ump didn’t have one on.

• woodenulykteneau - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Or a foul tip, but why bother with details?

• nolanwiffle - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM

How do you know he wasn’t wearing a cup, Oblio?

• woodenulykteneau - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The same way that you don’t *know* that he was, sweetcheeks.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Sweetcheeks? Great work!

• jrd8523 - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

He’s wearing a cup. This would be a more somber story if he wasnt. Cups dont prevent pain, they prevent damage.

• hasbeen5 - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought I heard the clank of ball hitting cup.

Regardless, a ball to the boys still hurts with a cup on.

• redbirdfan81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Do you really think he’s an MLB umpire, on the field withOUT a cup? Are you insane!? Get a life…this hurts, regardless of the level and speed.

4. jjpt4540 - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I always say when the ump screws you on a call. You tell the catcher not to catch the next pitch and peg the ump.

5. shawndc04 - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Gibson had a rough day. He was later hit in the hand by a foul tip. I know that he was glad when that game was over and I’m sure he downed a few libations later to ease the pain.

6. phukyouk - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM

So this guy’s gonna become the first female ump in baseball history now?

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

7. bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ya know what? I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him.

He was out of position and left himself exposed.

The funny thing to me is that he’ll be quietly flinching at every pitch regardless of location for the foreseeable future.

• redbirdfan81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You obviously are NOT an umpire. He was in the perfect position & the catcher missed it. Have some class, would ya?

• bigleagues - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Class ain’t my thing.

8. johnnyb1976 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thats what he gets for calling the high strike.

9. jlovenotjlo - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

One nut shot on HBT and all the dumb comments come flying out.

• phukyouk - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

pretty sure its called a crotch shot…

• jlovenotjlo - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Pretty sure its called don’t correct people on how they word baseballs impacting the groin. Tahmato, Towmato

10. jimbo1949 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Strasburg unhittable? How about uncatchable. Nice late movement.

11. bbk1000 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Strasburg indeed has good ball movement….just ask the ump, they’re probably still moving…

I think when umps have a bad game they should be punished with a 100 mph pitch to the groin….the thought alone would make them better at their craft…

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

And to this people were calling Halladay a badass for simply staring in when didn’t like a call.

13. utecutec - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I was watching the game. On replay, it was catcher’s interference. The bat nicked the glove, closing it, so the ball went through. The runner on first had taken second on the assumed passed ball, but it was called a foul tip. So it should have been men on first and second with one out due to catcher interference, and it was man on first with two out. Not that the Marlins had much of a chance against Strasburg anyway, but a tough call for them.

• addictedzone - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Finally someone gives the actual reason for this happening. It wasn’t a moving fastball or a passed ball or a foul tip. It was preordained karma. A blown call by the umps on the missed catcher’s interference leads to the well placed Strasnuts pitch.

14. unlost1 - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

STRIKE 2 ! (i had to say it)

15. natstowngreg - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

From where I was sitting, I couldn’t see exactly where it hit, but Gibson’s reaction made it pretty clear. It was the first of two times Gibson was hit in that game, though the second wasn’t nearly as dramatic.

16. imaginesuperbowlwin - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I think he brought this bad juju on himself when he ejected Denard Span and Gardy last week against the Yankees.

17. lostsok - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Ball one! Err…TWO!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3780)